Replacement Speedo Choices

LaGrasta

22 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I did a research earlier today, and it seemed all of the aftermarkets choices need extensive mods to work. Is this true?

@docc Yours look terrific! If these are simple to bolt in, plus in; I'm a buyer. 

Pretty sure my preparation/installation of the Speedhut took up four or five pages of that "Installing . . ." thread.  Far from Plug&Play. Worth it? I hope. I just could not bring myself to buy a fourth Veglia speedo and still pain over the fussy angle drives and all the little plastic gears.  Looks like I put a couple years into "being interested", six weeks with order/design/delivery, and about five weeks on the actual installation.

Big improvement over what my Sport had gotten to . . .

IMG_0065.jpg

22 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Since we're speaking of the instrument cluster, how is everyone measuring their fuel, merely the odometer? I ran out the other day. I tipped the bike over toward the petcock and made it another 2 miles to the gas station.

Yep, learn your fuel range and how that is reflected on whatever odometer you are using. "Fuel Level Warning Light" is for entertainment purposes only:rolleyes:

Expect an early "short/ chin-pad" tank to deliver maybe 5.1 US gallons before requiring the roadside "tip-slosh"  . . .

Sputter-out sooner in a downhill right-hander.  :bbblll:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Am I able to open the speedo myself, swap out what's broken? Is it simply a mater of swapping worn plastic gears? Are they available?

Researching alternatives, seems to be so many. Why not spend $100 for Equis, Stewart Warner, AutoMeter, etc mechanical speedometer, 3 3/8?

Am I missing something, is the cable threads not compatible, is there no adapter? Does the ratio not work? Anyone explore all of this? I'm surprised some have gone with GPS, rather than sticking with cable driven choices.

Members on here have opened these up in a couple of ways. Finding those threads is probably harder than the job:rolleyes:. I 'cut' open an earlier white face tach and found it cheap and an unwelcome place to work. I replaced it with a used one I found for $100. If yours is broken, you have nothing to lose so I would have a go at fixing it. I doubt you'll find parts anywhere other than in used "parts" gauges. I had some later black face ones I sold awhile back to a member who was wanting to do the same project as yourself. Don't recall who it was but would be a good source for info.

Aside from that, I'd spring for the Speedhuts. Waaaaay head in tech and quality, and beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

First you need to determine what your problem actually is. As mentioned, problems with the cable drive are more likely than a problem with the speedo itself. If it is the speedo, there are people who can repair them, but parts can be tricky to aquire as it is not considered "serviceable" by Guzzi. Probably the easiest option if the speedo is toast is a GPS speedo from Speedhut. That eliminates dealing with the cable drive. Other options include using a pulse driven speedo and getting a widget that converts the speedo drive output to pulses. That is what I have on my Daytona. It works, but it would have been easier to just go with a GPS speedo from Speedhut.

But, as mentioned, I would figure out what is actually wrong, first.

• Thanks 1

@GuzziMoto it is not my cable or drive unit, it is the speedo itself. I really would much rather stick with a cable unit, rather than GPS. I may buy a speedo locally, that I can return. This will allow me to test if the cable threads into it or not. If I can find a $50 3 3/8" speedo that fits teh cable, it's an easy repair.

4 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

@GuzziMoto it is not my cable or drive unit, it is the speedo itself. I really would much rather stick with a cable unit, rather than GPS. I may buy a speedo locally, that I can return. This will allow me to test if the cable threads into it or not. If I can find a $50 3 3/8" speedo that fits teh cable, it's an easy repair.

Wouldn't that be some find . . .

FWIW, it is probably the odometer/trip odometer most critical for our application owing to unforgiving fuel range . . .

• Like 1

The only complaint I have with the Speedhut speedo is that the trip meter numbers are so small. My old man eyes cannot read the trip meter while riding. 

They are a bit time consuming to install properly in the stock gauge cups, but several of us have done so with some variation in methods (I think all documented in the previously posted link.) If you swing by, I can show you the Speedhuts on my Nero Corsa - and I think I have a set of functional gauges in a drawer if you want to take a look at those before pulling yours out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Scud I will definitely visit, sometime soon. I'd driven my bike to work about ten times now, each a 40 mile round trip. Each day, I repair, adjust, or observe something new. Today, I lost two of the three screws that hold the exhaust tip into the silencer. A lunch run to the hardware store should get me home, then I'll apply some lock-tight.

As for the speedo, I read extensively many of the threads on the forum. In addition, searched online extensively for choices. Since my cable and drive work, I'm going to take the cable into Autozone, just for the hell of it, and see if it fits any of the cable driven speedos they stock. If it can be made to fit, I'll go that way. If not, I'll attempt to have Joel Levine fix what I have, and hope for a long life.

I know, I know, This means I'll be adding Speedhut a few years from now. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

@Scud I will definitely visit, sometime soon. I'd driven my bike to work about ten times now, each a 40 mile round trip. Each day, I repair, adjust, or observe something new. Today, I lost two of the three screws that hold the exhaust tip into the silencer. A lunch run to the hardware store should get me home, then I'll apply some lock-tight.

As for the speedo, I read extensively many of the threads on the forum. In addition, searched online extensively for choices. Since my cable and drive work, I'm going to take the cable into Autozone, just for the hell of it, and see if it fits any of the cable driven speedos they stock. If it can be made to fit, I'll go that way. If not, I'll attempt to have Joel Levine fix what I have, and hope for a long life.

I know, I know, This means I'll be adding Speedhut a few years from now. :)

Should I bother pointing out that if you want to keep it cable drive you have to worry not just about does the cable fit into the drive port of the speedo but whether or not the ratio (how many revolutions of the cable to a given distance) is correct.

@GuzziMoto I searched everywhere to find the ratio, but failed.

I'm hoping ours is the same by default.

• Configured for 1:1 Drive Ratio (1,000 cable RPM at 60 MPH)
  • 5/8 x 18 male thread attachment point for 0.104" square drive speedometer cables. Additional adapters sold separately.

aha!!! I hadn't realized until I just removed it a second time, the very tip of the cable broke off inside the speedo. Good news, I only need a new cable. Bad news, I need to figure out out how to remove the broken tip.

I just ordered an upgraded cable from MGCycle, however they are back ordered. Anywhere else I might find one sooner?

@cash1000 this company is closed for the Christmas holiday, but once they are back in office, confirm USA delivery, I'm going to go for this option. Appreciate your confirming.

I did also order and pay for a stock style from MGCycle, but as noted, they have none at present.