Replacement Speedo Choices

LaGrasta

Have had the same cable on my RC for 4years now, all good.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1

does this fit our bikes, expecting no difference from their listed years to my 2003? https://www.officine08.com/p14778_speedometer-cable-moto-guzzi-v-11-01.html

In my research, I've created such a confusion for myself. For $80, TLM seems to have a modded cable that eliminates both drives and the plastic gear at the speedo. they do have stock afterall. The link above show a new cable really cheap. The thing is, I've been hesitant to purchase since none of these seem to ensure fitment. I did also put a deposit on the modded MGC cable, however this seems to be nothing more than a slightly bent versions of OEM. I haven't heard from them since my deposit though.

"If" there is a  possibility of a method of repair using known quality supplies, you "might' want to consider it,idk.

I'm definitely not a cable expert,I've only ordered & replaced a few over the years,but even buying from respected suppliers specializing in MGs, there's always been issues with quality or fitment.

I've purchased throttle cables for one of my Tontis from a well known US supplier;the cable & casing was of a low quality, slightly smaller and I had to do a mcgyver shim job to make it work,because the inner cable was too long.

Recently I purchased a throttle cable from Germany for my V11;same deal, cable and casing were inferior quality,slightly smaller and the inner cable was so long,even with creative shimming and adjustment,,, I couldn't make it work. I ended up mcgyering my old oem cable instead.

All that to say,buyer beware when it comes to cables.

If there is a quality repair work around that you do using oem pieces with known quality parts/supplies, that "may" be an option to consider.

fwiw fyi

• Thanks 1

@80CX100 I really appreciate your perspective. I will make my order later this week, waiting for a few vendors to respond to my request.

I did already order the upgraded MGC OEM cable. I believe they are out of stock, but they still took my order money so maybe it's just a matter of them having a request before they fill it. I hope to hear back from them this week.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

@gstallons yes, only the inner needs replacement.

I got a cable made for a V!! from a company in Ca. I am sure they can fix you up w/a inner cable . I will look back through my invoices and see who did it. You will be able to run the new inner through the old casing and install a stop to fix it up. 

I will let you know what I find . 

• Thanks 2

Contact Barnett Clutches & Cables in Ventura , Ca. See if they can help . I got a throttle cable made from them and got the best price / quality from these people . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

After two months of ordering, shipping, ordering, again and again, etc, etc wrong part ordered, wrong part shipped, confusion on the "2003 sport" (2002 or 2004 fitment?) Tank off, tank on, again and again.

I finally got all new and correct items. All are now installed: new transmission 60° gear, new speedometer 60° gear, new OEM cable. I start it up, and away I go. The needle is bouncing, but then smooths out and registers correct, then it doesn't! I'm so frustrated. I guess the speedo is also in need of replacement.

For bike that didn't run for over a decade, it was easier to get it started, running, and dialed in than it is to deal with this stupid speedo set-up. :(

• Sad 2

Going to the black face Veglia corrects the white face defect, helping negate future problems. The thread may be the same, but the angle is not correct, but I could cut the black back housing to clear it. It's covered up by the fairing so no one would see. The price is right too!  Hoping someone could share any info on this swap.

• Like 1