Bike won't start

red lion

2001 Rosso Mandello......When trying to start her up I turned on the key, the head light came on but no fuel pump sound. I then pushed the start button and nothing happened. I noticed that the kill switch had bin tripped. I flipped the kill switch to run but it was dead. The bike ran when I parked it. What do you think it could be? 

Worth checking the Clutch Switch "bullet connectors."  (Could be the clutch microswitch, itself.)

Make sure the bike is in neutral with the Neutral Light lit, Ignition Switch and Run Switch on, pull the clutch lever in and hold the Starter Button while rotating the bars slowly back and forth, lock-to-lock.  If the starter suddenly activates, the Bullet Connectors are suspect (common).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, docc said:

Most likely the Clutch Switch "bullet connectors."  (Could be the clutch microswitch, itself.)

Make sure the bike is in neutral with the Neutral Light lit, Ignition Switch and Run Switch on, pull the clutch lever in and hold the Starter Button while rotating the bars slowly back and forth, lock-to-lock.  If the starter suddenly activates, the Bullet Connectors are suspect (common).

I had a similar issue, stop/run switch was faulty. When in the run position, I tapped on the switch and the relay picked, fuel injection primed. 

And check the 4connectors under the fuse box. They deliver power to fuel pump.

Cheers Tom.

It seems to me that while Relay 5, and Fuse 2 (or those vulnerable hidden spade connectors under the fuse block), would prevent the fuel pump from spinning, the bike would still crank but not start.

No pump/ no crank? Sure points to the Clutch Safety Switch.  I do recall a member who owned other bikes and simply forgot the V11 must have the clutch lever pulled in to start, even if in neutral . . .

1 hour ago, red lion said:

pushed the start button and nothing

27 minutes ago, docc said:

It seems to me that while Relay 5, and Fuse 2 (or those vulnerable hidden spade connectors under the fuse block), would prevent the fuel pump from spinning, the bike would still crank but not start.

No pump/ no crank? Sure points to the Clutch Safety Switch.  I do recall a member who owned other bikes and simply forgot the V11 must have the clutch lever pulled in to start, even if in neutral . . .

correct docc, I missed that bit

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, red lion said:

The clutch was pulled in when I tried to start the bike.

Have you performed the method I posted rotating the bars while holding the start button down?

This is a variant of the "Wiggle Test " where wiring is jostled, or "wiggled" while testing for an electrical fault.  It is a common way of discovering faulty connectors or a broken wire.

I haven't moved the bars yet. But I did adjust the clutch lever before the problem. That could be what's going on with the starter button, I'll check today. Also about a year ago my friend went down on his Griso, I pulled over and turned my bike off with the kill switch. Then turned it back to run and the bike would not start. I got a ride to my house to get my trailer. When I got back to my bike it started up and has been OK until the kill switch was tripped yesterday. What are your thoughts, bad kill switch. Bad # 5 relay?  I'll see if she starts today.

1 hour ago, red lion said:

I haven't moved the bars yet. But I did adjust the clutch lever before the problem. That could be what's going on with the starter button, I'll check today. Also about a year ago my friend went down on his Griso, I pulled over and turned my bike off with the kill switch. Then turned it back to run and the bike would not start. I got a ride to my house to get my trailer. When I got back to my bike it started up and has been OK until the kill switch was tripped yesterday. What are your thoughts, bad kill switch. Bad # 5 relay?  I'll see if she starts today.

Be certain your adjustment did not defeat the clutch switch activation.  You should be able to put your ear to the switch at the lever pivot and hear a tiny click-click as the lever is barely pulled and released.

Poor connection inside the Run Switch could be problematic. In that case, cycle the Run Switch sharply several times during start attempts. If she starts, then open the Run Switch and clean/treat the contacts with something magical like Caig DeOxit Gold®. Magical.

The chance this is a component failure, or anything more than a connection issue, is rather low.

• Like 3

Well today checked to see if she would start, and nothing. I then worked the kill switch hard back and forth many times with no improvement. I then took my 1100 sport for a ride. When I got back four to five hours later I checked on the bike. Turned on the key and heard the fuel pump prime, Then hit the starter and it turned over and fired up. I never touched the adjustment on the clutch lever.