Driveshaft/Gearbox

cash1000

On 1/18/2023 at 5:45 AM, Baldini said:

The failed bearing appears to be the rear bearing on the upper lay/secondary shaft.

Here's 2 more: 

Yes, @Baldini, looks to be the rear bearing of the upper lay shaft.

Both @guzzi323 and @Bjorn's gearbox failures look to have broken a piece off of the gearbox "back case cover" that houses that rather large rear bearing.

Another place for a careful crack check, @cash1000 . . .

A point of potential confusion, perhaps, is that both of these images are taken looking from "outside" the back of the gearbox with the rearmost cover removed:

guzzi323's V11, looking back to front:

IMG_0065.jpg

Bjorn's V11, looking back to front, from above, with the gearbox lying on its front face:

gallery_9651_222_414639.jpg

But, then, @cash1000's failed bearing seen from inside the gearbox, looking front to back with the gearbox lying on its back cover:

small.1004231142_Bearing1.jpg.44e42133d8

Could that back cover be damaged from the bearing failure (like the other two)?

A lot of people (on this forum) use this oil. My bikes had this. I changed this out and installed Motorcraft synthetic. When I had drained this out , I liked the way it felt after 100k mi. 

2 hours ago, Baldini said:

Emulsified? Can't remember exactly what it looks like when fresh. this from a vintage 12 years old bottle...

Redline Shockproof Heavy.jpg

It looks thin, like that, if you pour a little off the top after the bottle has been sitting. If you shake it up well, it will likely look milky like that oil out of guzzi323's gearbox.

[Note: I edited my post with the three images to better emphasize those are from three different V11.]

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 3:05 PM, docc said:

Yes, @cash1000, please clarify which is that failed bearing ?

small.1004231142_Bearing1.jpg.44e42133d8

Just heard back from Vince. The failed bearing was rear one on upper lay shaft. Can any one point out in parts diagram which is the bearing that failed?

• Like 1

Working on what needs to be done to install flywheel & clutch

Found this on Greg Benders website for an 850T.

The clutch is different for the RM but is the instructions correct for the flywheel for the RM?

Install the flywheel and clutch - Roy Smith's Moto Guzzi 850 T3 engine rebuild - Project motorcycles - Topics - Gregory Bender (thisoldtractor.com)

If in fact it is the rear bearing on the Output shaft( the one the driveshaft connects to),

that bearing Guzzi part #92201141 ( might be an old number ) - it is a 40 x 68 x 15  ball bearing. 

Any good bearing house should be able to get them.

easy access to parts diagrams on Harpers web site

Now that I think about it I might have one in my favorite draw.

I will have to go look

• Like 1

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Also here:

https://guzzitek.org/

It takes a good look to see how the site works, but the collection of workshop manuals and parts catalogues there is very, very impressive.

Yeah but don’t you have to be a paid member? I’m too cheap for that. If I’m wrong please disregard.