Driveshaft/Gearbox

cash1000

On 1/21/2023 at 10:44 AM, cash1000 said:

Just heard back from Vince. The failed bearing was rear one on upper lay shaft. Can any one point out in parts diagram which is the bearing that failed?

Yup my bad wrong page

On 1/21/2023 at 1:45 AM, fotoguzzi said:

... but don’t you have to be a paid member?  (at Guzzitek.org)

No.

To cross-check, I just loaded this manual down to my laptop:

https://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/1100/V11_1999-2003_Atelier(Compil-GB-D-NL).pdf

No costs, no membership, just "save to ..." using the function for that in the browser.

There is a place for donations on the site, but using the site is free.

I should donate actually. The amount of times I've used that site myself or linked to it, I "morally" owe the guy about 10.,000 bucks. :grin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pick up completed gearbox yesterday. Great service from Vince. 2 weeks earlier than I expected and cheaper

Got some painting to do before I re fit. Paint flaking off from top & bottom of gearbox ^_^ plus some touch ups to swingarm etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 6:19 PM, MartyNZ said:

Do you have a drain bung with a magnet in it? Just in case there is still a few bits in there.

Yup. When I removed it to drain oil it had metal fragments attached to it. Not a nice sight

• Like 1

I'm having trouble refitting the gearbox. I can't get the gap between the gearbox & engine cases to close up. Is it that the splines on the gearbox are not meeting up with those on the clutch plate? The manual talks of a clutch alignment tool. Do I need this?

Yes, the clutch parts must be aligned when the clutch is assembled . . .

Then the gearbox input hub can be jiggled to fit into the clutch assembly.

18 minutes ago, docc said:

Yes, the clutch parts must be aligned when the clutch is assembled . . .

Then the gearbox input hub can be jiggled to fit into the clutch assembly.

Thank's Doc. Makes total sense when you think about it. Out come's gearbox again 

7 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

Thank's Doc. Makes total sense when you think about it.

I seem to recall that a spare gearbox input hub will serve as a clutch alignment tool?

What clutch/flywheel combination did you go back with?

5 hours ago, docc said:

I seem to recall that a spare gearbox input hub will serve as a clutch alignment tool?

What clutch/flywheel combination did you go back with?

I'm reinstalling original flywheel & clutch. Plan is add a V85TT to fleet to do any long distance riding on so mileage on V11 will be less. I've used a vinier caliper to centre clutch plate. Have another go at gearbox tomorrow 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cash1000 said:

I'm reinstalling original flywheel & clutch. Plan is add a V85TT to fleet to do any long distance riding on so mileage on V11 will be less. I've used a vinier caliper to centre clutch plate. Have another go at gearbox tomorrow 

4 hours ago, pete roper said:

Is this a single or twin plate clutch?

Okay, then, the original single plate clutch and aluminum flywheel of the Rosso Mandello . . .

• Like 1

Not a different g/b Vince repaired original one. G/b proving stubborn to refitt. I'm obviously not getting splines lined up. I can get cases 2mm apart. I can move alternator nut. If I tighten nuts to join cases just a couple of turn's then I can't move alternator nut. If I ensure gap in between cases is the same all round then g/b should be lined up with clutch splines. I should then wiggle alternator nut untill splines join. In theory.