Driveshaft/Gearbox

cash1000

Looking at your photo, I would run the hose off the bleed nipple a got bit further upwards before letting it curve down to the floor. 10 or 12 inches would be appropriate. Support the hose before the curve starts.

The advantages are:

there is less stress on the hose at the nipple, so it seals there better

the straight section allows for some twist in the hose, which allows the nipple to be unscrewed enough for the bleed action without screwing the hose off the nipple

the straight-up section of the hose fills with fluid, so you can see much, much better what the bubble situation is when the nipple is released for the bleed action, i.e. unscrewed to let the air out

Changing my method for bleeding brakes, on the advice of a mechanic, from what I see in your photo to what I described changed the task for me from something I absolutely hated doing, and which always frustrated and angered me, to something that is merely tiresome. :huh2:

• Like 1

I found a wrap or two of Teflon® tape (plumber's pipe thread tape) around the bleeder's thread necessary to bleed effectively and stop any weeping fluid from the bleeder.

• Like 3

The saga continues

Using syringe method I was able to inject brake fluid from slave to master cylinder.

Trying to pump fluid back the other way not so good. Very little fluid being pumped through.

Thinking I need to put a rebuild kit into Clutch master cylinder.

Teflon tape didn't work so well so under advice from Speed Bleeder guys I've resealed with Permatex high Performance Thread Sealant. It's a 72 hour set time so still waiting. They supply their own sealant but easier for me to get the Permatex stuff

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

Photo was from a few years ago so before saga started. But hopefully will have bike back together & going tonight 🤞

Bravo, man. You know we are all pulling for you!  :luigi::bier::race:

• 2 weeks later...

Been away on holiday. Got V11 all back together last night. Now I find the fuel hose has a spilt in it at the pump end :rolleyes: (Its not original. That was replaced years ago)

So tank & seat off again & find some 12mm fuel hose

• Sad 2

Down to the wire, then @cash1000!

Considering where you have been with this project over the last three months, I would say, "You've got this!" :luigi:

While many of us could swap out that fuel line (and keep it short enough to groom up and away from the cylinder head heat), I realize that later fuel pumps might be mounted above the spine which would require the tank removal. I reckon this is your case?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, docc said:

Down to the wire, then @cash1000!

Considering where you have been with this project over the last three months, I would say, "You've got this!" :luigi:

While many of us could swap out that fuel line (and keep it short enough to groom up and away from the cylinder head heat), I realize that later fuel pumps might be mounted above the spine which would require the tank removal. I reckon this is your case?

So close. 12mm ID fuel line is not easy to get here in NZ. Got some heater hose that will do in short term.

6 hours ago, cash1000 said:

So close. 12mm ID fuel line is not easy to get here in NZ. Got some heater hose that will do in short term.

Could maybe find it at aMercedes or BMW dealership?

8 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Same here in The States finding 12mm fuel line. I would be nervous running fuel through heater hose.

What about 1/2" fuel line. I've used that and it tightens right up. Just taking up slightly over a half millimeter?

Be certain to give it some sort of heat shield, as well . . .

15 hours ago, docc said:

Same here in The States finding 12mm fuel line. I would be nervous running fuel through heater hose.

What about 1/2" fuel line. I've used that and it tightens right up. Just taking up slightly over a half millimeter?

Be certain to give it some sort of heat shield, as well . . .

Heater hose been thrown out. 

Got some 12.7mm fuel hose. Will give that ago tonight.

Been on a few wild goose chases with this.  Found what is advertised as 12mm is actually 12.7mm (1/2 inch). Weird NZ has been metric for 30 years yet still get stuff in inches.

• Like 3