Driveshaft/Gearbox

cash1000

Hi I think I have a gearbox problem.

Went for a ride with brother yesterday. Got 20ks down the road and noticed a metallic noise coming from 2001 V11 RM. Stopped had a listen noise had gone away. Road another 100m noise came back. Stopped thinking this isn’t good. Tried to push V11 off on to road verge but couldn’t because back wheel had locked up. It took 2 off us to do it. I was still able to change gear but V11 wouldn’t move forward. Went home on brothers' bike (Yamaha MT09 not for me) and got car & trailer.  Got V11 home (Not easy loading a bike with a locked up back wheel). Checked back wheel not binding on swing arm or rear brake binding on disk. Nope. Then took back wheel out thinking diff might have locked up. Nope still moving freely. Then took selector plate off left hand side of gearbox. No sign of damage. Springs on plate still intact. I was still able to run through gears on plate. In retrospect I knew this because I could still change gear but it crossed 1 possibility off the list

Checked driveshaft out of right-hand rear of gearbox. I was not able to turn it. Gearbox is in neutral. I think this is what is causing back wheel to lockup.

What has happened?

Only work I’ve done on V11 recently is replace Cam Sensor (Thanks MartyNZ for loaning me your spare) so unlikely to be anything to do with that

• Sad 1

If it's starting then the ring gear is still concentric with the crank axis. I wouldn't expect it to turn over if the flywheel had broken up??? Perhaps it's a friction plate issue?

Anyway, gearbox is still going to have to come out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pete roper said:

... I'm betting the flywheel will be the culprit.

Hi Pete.

I'm not in any way questioning your knowledge and experience. From what I've read here, both seem to be plentiful. :)

But I can't follow the logic. Cash wrote

9 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Checked driveshaft out of right-hand rear of gearbox. I was not able to turn it. Gearbox is in neutral....

If the flywheel is buggering up the works, but the box was really in neutral, shouldn't he have been able to turn the output shaft?:huh2:

10 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Hi I think I have a gearbox problem.

Went for a ride with brother yesterday. Got 20ks down the road and noticed a metallic noise coming from 2001 V11 RM. Stopped had a listen noise had gone away. Road another 100m noise came back. Stopped thinking this isn’t good. Tried to push V11 off on to road verge but couldn’t because back wheel had locked up. It took 2 off us to do it. I was still able to change gear but V11 wouldn’t move forward. Went home on brothers' bike (Yamaha MT09 not for me) and got car & trailer.  Got V11 home (Not easy loading a bike with a locked up back wheel). Checked back wheel not binding on swing arm or rear brake binding on disk. Nope. Then took back wheel out thinking diff might have locked up. Nope still moving freely. Then took selector plate off left hand side of gearbox. No sign of damage. Springs on plate still intact. I was still able to run through gears on plate. In retrospect I knew this because I could still change gear but it crossed 1 possibility off the list

Checked driveshaft out of right-hand rear of gearbox. I was not able to turn it. Gearbox is in neutral. I think this is what is causing back wheel to lockup.

What has happened?

Only work I’ve done on V11 recently is replace Cam Sensor (Thanks MartyNZ for loaning me your spare) so unlikely to be anything to do with that

Were the Rosso Mandello bikes subject to the same transmission recall as my regular 2001 Sport? Was the work ever performed? I seem to recall reading if this failed it would cause the back wheel to lock up. Either way good luck!! 

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=9199

Edited by deadpen69
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Hi Pete.

I'm not in any way questioning your knowledge and experience. From what I've read here, both seem to be plentiful. :)

But I can't follow the logic. Cash wrote

If the flywheel is buggering up the works, but the box was really in neutral, shouldn't he have been able to turn the output shaft?:huh2:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after my first post. It's all a bit moot though. The box is going to have to come out anyway so if when it's pulled out both clutch and flywheel are good then it's essentially got to be internal to the box doesn't it?

Perhaps the nuts on the end of the shafts have loosened/spun off? That was the issue with the last V11 box I was buggering about with.

• Like 5