Driveshaft/Gearbox

cash1000

2 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Good point about the screws. I wonder if they are Guzzi specific or are available from any good fasteners supplier 

Well yes, any metric grade 10.9 bolt would do if it has: - 

Rolled, not cut threads

A section of plain shank to fit the hole snugly

A head size that doesn't interfere with the clutch.

The genuine MG part has already taken care of these considerations, and I see MG Cycle sells them for $1.68 ea. Since it's standard on lots of models, I'd ask Motokiwi for a price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

Yes it is. 20 years a bit late to claim on it? Any idea if I can find out if it's been done?

Seems Piaggio has a system to respond to records requests of that safety recall having been performed.

Yet, those specific recall parts do not appear to be of issue with this bearing failure?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

Well yes, any metric grade 10.9 bolt would do if it has: - 

Rolled, not cut threads

A section of plain shank to fit the hole snugly

A head size that doesn't interfere with the clutch.

The genuine MG part has already taken care of these considerations, and I see MG Cycle sells them for $1.68 ea. Since it's standard on lots of models, I'd ask Motokiwi for a price.

Bolts on RM are an allen head type but yes they will need replacing

So, this image is not the concerning junction of the aluminum flywheel with the back of the crankshaft. What we are looking at here is the "toothed wheel" or "toothed crown" / C:

small.20230106_145149.jpg.f354233a64b4c4

The actual flywheel is beneath (forward of) the clutch assembly and bolted to the back of the crankshaft. That is the area of fail concern on the aluminum flywheels.

(The actual flywheel and the flywheel bolts to the crankshaft are not seen in these images.)

22 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

I've got the alternator off my bike at the moment. You are welcome to come over to look and see how little it will help with accessing the clutch.

BTW, the manual says "Screws “B” (flywheel bolts) must be replaced with new ones upon the following reassembly, due to the high load and stresses they are subject to; (apply thread locking product, Loctite, medium strength, to the screws and tighten to torques of Nm 40 ÷ 42)."

P/N GU12067701 Qty 6.

The actual flywheel (#7) bolts are seen, below, as #9 and obscured beneath the "Toothed Crown"/ #10.

The Toothed Crown fasteners (#12) "Allen head type" are not the concern . . .

th?id=OIP.FOizNvcXOHm5mQzOrEZ14AHaEi%26p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, docc said:

So, this image is not the concerning junction of the aluminum flywheel with the back of the crankshaft. What we are looking at here is the "toothed wheel" or "toothed crown" / C:

small.20230106_145149.jpg.f354233a64b4c4

The actual flywheel is beneath (forward of) the clutch assembly and bolted to the back of the crankshaft. That is the area of fail concern on the aluminum flywheels.

(The actual flywheel and the flywheel bolts to the crankshaft are not seen in these images.)

Yet . . . are those visible cracks around the circumference of the "toothed wheel/crown?"

large.20230106_184958.jpg.8e4023ad770736

Yes the toothed crown is what the starter motor acts on. I will check for cracks tonight

• Like 1

Getting closer and closer to getting eyes on the actual flywheel . . .

Here is a view of mine (left / actual flywheel is upper right):

IMG_2594.JPG

On 12/28/2022 at 10:55 PM, cash1000 said:

Hi

Photo below of flywheel thru inspection hole.

Redish coloured material looks like it has broken!

small.Flywheel.jpg.5eaa964163f1bfdd68d63

The redish colour is not so much of a concern as the odd wrinkle/gap in the Crown.  This oddity will soon be revealed . . .

20 minutes ago, docc said:

The actual flywheel (#7) bolts are seen, below, as #9 and obscured beneath the "Toothed Crown"/ #10.

The Toothed Crown fasteners (#12) "Allen head type" are not the concern . . .

th?id=OIP.FOizNvcXOHm5mQzOrEZ14AHaEi%26p

Thank for the Drawing Doc. So 10 is only the outer layer. The workshop manual mentions alignment marks to use when reassembling normal clutch/flywheel (Needed to ensure timing is correct?). Are there going to be the same for the RM clutch/flywheel? I will be watching out for them and taking plenty of photos

• Like 1

Looks to me like there is a chunk missing out of the "toothed crown". The disc with teeth around the outside that the starter engages to. In the photo above, there seems to be a rather large triangular shaped piece missing (at the bottom in the photo...)

On 1/1/2023 at 3:00 AM, pete roper said:

With the driveshaft? It is aligned correctly isn't it? While a misaligned driveshaft itself won't cause the wheel to lock the forces imposed by the trunnions not being correctly aligned is certainly enough to bust stuff up.

THIS.

When you reassembled the driveshaft, how did you align it? Did you use factory marks? IME these can be totally incorrect. 

Check alignment of two UJ's looking along the assembly. 

My Scura exploded front UJ. Below pic on L is aligned as it came from new (aligned according to paintmarks) & prior to damage not previously disassembled. 

KB:sun: 

PS: Audiomick - the missing triangle looks to me like something unrelated placed in front of the clutch assy.

Scura Drvshafts End on.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/9/2023 at 9:36 PM, cash1000 said:

Thank for the Drawing Doc. So 10 is only the outer layer. The workshop manual mentions alignment marks to use when reassembling normal clutch/flywheel (Needed to ensure timing is correct?). Are there going to be the same for the RM clutch/flywheel? I will be watching out for them and taking plenty of photos

Not for the timing, but the balance, I reckon:

White marks:

IMG_2594.JPG

Crankshaft scribed plus white mark:

IMG_2704.JPG