Driveshaft/Gearbox

cash1000

The twin plate toothed crown wheel looks different. Seems when I unbolted mine the clutch internals/springs came out easily. Seems the single plate is different in this regard?

IMG_2561.JPG.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Cash; I have absolutely nothing to add,just moral support that you're in good hands and this is an amazing job to watch unfold.

Thank you so much for your descriptions and photo documentation,excellent! It's beautiful to watch :thumbsup:

At some point I'm hoping that there will be a discussion/confirmation re Baldini's post on the driveshaft alignment issue;especially in light of your recent work in that area.

This is all above my pay grade,but I'm doing my best Sponge Bob imitation trying to absorb as much as I can.

Patience,fresh eyes when needed & sage guidance;

Carry on Sir!:rasta:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, docc said:

The twin plate toothed crown wheel looks different. Seems when I unbolted mine the clutch internals/springs came out easily. Seems the single plate is different in this regard?

IMG_2561.JPG.jpeg

Yours is quite different.

This is the view of mine through the inspection hole on right side of motor

I wonder if its typical of the single plate clutch V11

• Like 1

We are all so anticipating views of the actual flywheel connection to the crankshaft as well as whether that funky-looking inspection hole "flaw" can be identified (and where it actually is . . . )

• Like 1

15 hours ago, footgoose said:

the RAM replacement. Not that different from the OEM aluminum (RAM made that one too) but lightened steel flywheel and better friction plate. I was lucky to get this just before they stopped selling this kit.

IMG_0179.JPG

It looks the same as mine

When you installed it did you spilt flywheel & clutch? Photos/

just these. Yes I had to disassemble to remove it iirc. I think one bolt broke off. If you need something specific lemme know. I can dig it out and photograph it. I layered the pics, like turning a page. 3 and 4 are reversed in this

IMG-1447.JPG

IMG-1444.JPG

IMG-1446.JPG

IMG-1445.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, footgoose said:

just these. Yes I had to disassemble to remove it iirc. I think one bolt broke off. If you need something specific lemme know. I can dig it out and photograph it. I layered the pics, like turning a page. 3 and 4 are reversed in this

IMG-1447.JPG

IMG-1444.JPG

IMG-1446.JPG

IMG-1445.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

This is the original V11 single plate/aluminum flywheel (RAM- made) assembly used in the V11 Rosso Mandello, Scura, and Tenni ?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 8:06 PM, footgoose said:

I can vouch for my Tenni docc, must assume for the others

It just can get confusing talking between the OEM aluminum flywheel, the replacement (steel flywheel) RAM, and the "twin plate" OEM . . .

Yes it can docc. What I wonder is if RAM were making a version of the current (steel) lightened clutch assembly before Guzzi got the idea to have them produce the Aluminum flywheel single plate assembly for their 'specials.' So,... was it a Guzzi design in the beginning for the RM? .. and subsequently passed down to Scura and Tenni? Or a RAM design at the bequest of MG?  or ...once it proved weak and discontinued through the line, did RAM decide to make it better?

The lightened flywheel/clutch assembly introduced as oem in the V11 range was a good idea, but a failure.

The tried and true reliable dual plate kit is the way to go for replacement ... says the Guzzisti in me. The smart me says avoid the 'presumed experiment' oem alm kit altogether. It's not worth the worry. The adventure me -thankfully- went with the later RAM single. And I think it fits closer to intended oem spec for the purest in me. It's too bad this assembly was not used throughout the spine line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this is the 5 speed kit. I **think** it's the same as the discontinued kit for the 6 speed kit, except for the actuating rod receiver cup and the clutch hub (which owners of RM, Scura and Tenni already have in the bike, so you don't need it)

price is about the same as mine cost quite awhile back

I wish we (I) had paid more attention and conserved all our info into one place so present and future new owners would have an easier time navigating this issue. It's kind of a big deal for these models.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=1698

Just pondering this "low inertia" clutch plate looks to have, maybe 1/3 the surface area of a single OEM clutch plate.

01084441.jpg

And that my twin plate has two; making six times the mass/area (roughly) of this "low inertia" plate.

Might they only last 1/6 as long? :huh2: