Kill switch removal 1980 LM II

standingtree

Hello all - 

Has anyone managed to take the original LMII sliding kill switch out of the twistgrip body? My switch has a broken wiring terminal so needs to come out for fixing, but I can't remove the external red slider. I don't want to risk breaking the switch, so I'd much appreciate any help you might give!  

Thanks

Standingtree 

• Like 1

Hello docc! Thanks for the quick response - it's much appreciated. Bike is a 1980 Mk2 with standard switchgear. Switch itself has a triangular red slider button, marked below with 'Off' and 'Start/Run'. Two white wires. 

Cheers

Standingtree

21 minutes ago, standingtree said:

Hello docc! Thanks for the quick response - it's much appreciated. Bike is a 1980 Mk2 with standard switchgear. Switch itself has a triangular red slider button, marked below with 'Off' and 'Start/Run'. Two white wires. 

Cheers

Standingtree

Let's let some folks reply (remember, we have members all around the world, so it often takes 24 hours for everyone to come around), then watch for this topic to move to the subforum "Older Models"  . . .

43 minutes ago, standingtree said:

Audiomick - Good  idea. Photo coming up in the morning, when I've got some light!

docc - Thanks for shunting the post to its proper place: apologies. I've also added more bike info to my profile. 

Np! In the meantime, I'll edit your topic title . . .

• docc changed the title to Kill switch removal 1980 LM II
4 hours ago, guzziart said:

4 hours ago, standingtree said:

guzziart - Good suggestion to have that in reserve in case the original switch can't be winkled out! Thanks.   

14603455.jpg

Problem solved! Boy, am I dim. Here's two pictures: the RH switchgear complete (for ID) and the kill switch removed. There's a small retaining tag at each corner of the kill switch body, two of which hopefully can be seen in the attached photo. The red slider knob and the thin black platform below it are both external, while the tags are inside the twistgrip housing. Working from inside, push two tags on one long side inwards with a small screwdriver, keeping upwards pressure on the switch so they clear the housing. Repeat on the other side to free the switch, then use the screwdriver tip to put local pressure on each of the body's copper rivets so they too clear the housing. 

Thanks to you all for taking an interest, and I hope my dimness can help someone someday!

Standingtree

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2