Can't choose between V11 and 2v CARC bike. Help!!

Icenian

2 hours ago, pete roper said:

With any CARC bike

Pete, you didn't mention part #7 here.

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/eliste_bild.php?sid=1919g575295g5686ebcg&lg=de

As far as I know, that could be an issue on earlier CARC swingarms, in which it was a plain bush or something.

As I expect you know, later on the "silent block" was used instead, because the bush or whatever it was before that was prone to wearing out and getting sloppy.

A very experienced mechanic, I believe he spent some years working in a Guzzi workshop, has told me that this "silent block" mod can be done on any CARC, and is to be recommended. Can you comment on that, and maybe name the model year before which the silent block was not standard?

Edit: someone in the german forum that I am active in turned up this source for the silent block:

http://www.dealricambi.net/risultati.asp?c=144&s=883045

No idea what the quality is like, but at a fifth of the SD price, one could give it a go. ;)

I dare say it is a standard part that could be sourced in other countries too, but I have no idea what the dimensions are.

Just now, docc said:

What are we looking at on the this LeMans?

197A1F8D-8EDB-422D-B76E-C16DEA2AA56F.jpeg

This may explain it better Docc…but poor image screen shot then reducing the actual size to fit :homer:

EF17D2B6-E42A-49C4-999E-8885024B2FE1.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Ahhh, much better. Thanks. :)

More upright riding position, even for the Lemans ☑️

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

More upright riding position...

I always did prefer a slightly more stretched riding position. UJM (universal japanes motorcyle) position was never my favourite.

And then there is the expression that one hears here and there in Germany:

"Wer schön sein will, muss leiden"

Translation: "If you want to look good, you have to suffer". :grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, audiomick said:

Pete, you didn't mention part #7 here.

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/eliste_bild.php?sid=1919g575295g5686ebcg&lg=de

As far as I know, that could be an issue on earlier CARC swingarms, in which it was a plain bush or something.

trying to make sense of that diagram

assume part 7 is the bush in either end of the torque arm, where parts 3, 4 & 5 (bolt, 2 washers & nut?) are shown.

Thanks for the tip, looks like a 5 minute job if it needs doing.   (Well, 5 minutes following the 4 hours of swearing that traditionally accompanies the undoing of a bolt that hasn't been touched in 16 years of British weather....)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icenian said:

assume part 7 is the bush in either end of the torque arm, ...

As I understand it, at the front. I.e. where the torque arm bolts to the frame.

From what I hear (read...), the worn bush makes itself apparent through a hard click-clack noise when the load on the torque arm changes (on-throttle to off-throttle and vice versa).

I haven't personally had anything to do with this issue, so this is all hearsay, but from very reliable sources, and always the same information from various sources. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I owe you guys an update after you kindly offered advice.

I got a 2v 1200 Sport, in the end, because it was the best value from a seller who seemed reasonable.  Decision more with head than heart to be honest.  One day a good V11 will come along...

First impressions:  does this weigh more than my Subaru? Quite possibly.

And yet it just works so well on the road!  Even on bumpy country back roads, which should not really be it's natural habitat, it is really comfortable. Soaks up the bumps as well as my Tiger, which is a surprise.

Torque is, of course, fantastic.  Previous owner had fitted Maxxis tyres, though, and they have to go.  Accelerating out of a roundabout on a damp road had the rear spinning and starting to go sideways.  Entertaining, I suppose, but bound to end badly sooner or later.  Not a fault of the bike, though.

The only thing I don't like about the bike is the handlebars.  To clear the tank on full lock, they have to be positioned with the grips pretty much straight - like superbike bars - which is uncomfortable with the stretch to the bars.  I don't mind a stretch, but IMHO the grips need to be angled back for that to work.

Also the bars a wide (760mm) which is strange with the stretch; more what you would expect with an upright riding position.

Right now I have 20mm bar risers (SW Motech) that give enough tank clearance to let me rotate the bars to a more reasonable position, but without making the riding position too upright.

I will be trying to find bars that are a bit narrower and/or with the grips angled back some more (but not much higher than stock)

Oh,and the clutch biting point is way too far from the grip.  Only about 1/4 of the lever travel is useful :-/

Still very happy with it, just niggles to fix... 

Thanks again :)

• Like 3