Nineteenth South'n Spine Raid 2023 Tennessee USA

docc

Heh, the Saab is actually my wife's.  She's the "Saab nut" ;)

This one has just become too much trouble to keep going, so we're going to let it go.  She likes the older ones better anyway, so maybe we'll get another one from the 70s/80s for her at some point.  No surprise to this group, that vintage is much easier to maintain :lol:

• Haha 1

1989 Saab 900Turbo SPG ..In the mountain twisties  it was one of the Fastest and best handling and most fun to drive production cars I ever owned..a real ticket getter...:thumbsup:

Screenshot%202023-02-04%20at%207.44.21%2

• Like 5

8 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

1989 Saab 900Turbo SPG ..In the mountain twisties  it was one of the Fastest and best handling and most fun to drive production cars I ever owned..a real ticket getter...:thumbsup:

Screenshot%202023-02-04%20at%207.44.21%2

That's what she wants.  Doesn't have to be an SPG, but that era.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, y'all,

Bryan at The Lodge at Tellico just let me know there are two rooms left for our weekend.

I am so looking forward to see you all ! :sun:

• Like 1

Docc, Nicole just agreed to ride down with me to the spine raid in Sept, the only catch is we will be two up on the Chieftain this year. :ph34r::helmet: Can't wait for all the garage session Non-Moto Guzzi pranks in the garage :grin: :bier:

689466806.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Docc, Nicole just agreed to ride down with me to the spine raid in Sept, the only catch is we will be two up on the Chieftain this year. :ph34r::helmet: Can't wait for all the garage session Non-Moto Guzzi pranks in the garage :grin: :bier:

689466806.jpg

Is that spark ignited, or diesel?

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Pressureangle-

The Indian Thunder Stroke 116 is a 49-degree V-twin displacing 115 cubic inches (1890cc). The bore is 4.063 inches (103.2mm) and the stroke measures 4.449 inches (113mm). That means the Thunder Stroke 116 shares the same stroke as the 111, and the extra five cubic inches (79cc) of displacement comes from a bore increase from 3.976 inches (101mm).

The cylinder head on the 116 is all-new.

At 2900 rpm, the Thunder Stroke 116 hits its maximum of 126 ft/lbs of torque. That’s five ft/lbs more than the 111, and it comes 100 rpm sooner.

The 116 uses air- and oil-cooling.

Thunder Stroke 116 uses a 54mm throttle body.

The compression ratio on the Indian Thunder Stroke 116 is 11:1, compared to 9.5: 1 on the 111.

57 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

Pressureangle-

The Indian Thunder Stroke 116 is a 49-degree V-twin displacing 115 cubic inches (1890cc). The bore is 4.063 inches (103.2mm) and the stroke measures 4.449 inches (113mm). That means the Thunder Stroke 116 shares the same stroke as the 111, and the extra five cubic inches (79cc) of displacement comes from a bore increase from 3.976 inches (101mm).

The cylinder head on the 116 is all-new.

At 2900 rpm, the Thunder Stroke 116 hits its maximum of 126 ft/lbs of torque. That’s five ft/lbs more than the 111, and it comes 100 rpm sooner.

The 116 uses air- and oil-cooling.

Thunder Stroke 116 uses a 54mm throttle body.

The compression ratio on the Indian Thunder Stroke 116 is 11:1, compared to 9.5: 1 on the 111.

Yeah. So. "Diesel" for short . . .

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

I was perusing some archives of the South'nSpineRaid and ran across this post [edited] from SSR XII/ 2016 and thought it lends some perspective:

Posted

As spring is performing its springing here, and the Sport rolled over 98,000 miles today, I'm motivated to revisit the raison d'etre of Spine Raids, and Spine Raiders.

The inaugural South'n Spine Raid was all about getting a few V11 together in order to get some 'semblance of understanding of their traits, transitions , and taming. This was 2004, about a year after :notworthy: Jaap launched this forum. It was massively revealing to put the four V11 side by side and pore over them.

Along with my 2000 Sport was  the 2002 LeMans of TheProfessorHisOwnSelf @andy york (now with something like 120,000+ miles), @Bill Hagan on a 2003 Ballabio whose absence in his life haunts him to this day, and a beautiful black 2004 LeMans.  Since no photographic evidence exists of that event, we need say no more . . . :whistle:

With no SSR in 2005, we've gathered every year since in the TN/NC/GA mountains. The collective experience is beyond words. So many great folks, so many interesting bikes (not all V11 or even Guzzi), so many Tech Sessions (some rather impromptu!)

After moving the meeting place around for several years, we've settled on TheLodgeatTellico for so many reasons, not the least of which are [the] garage and [the]breakfast!  :luigi:  :food:

I am reminded to repeat the disclaimer: This is not an event, rally, or official gathering of any kind. It has nothing to do with V11LeMans.com, its owner, administrators, moderators, members, posters, spouses, offspring, or pets. There is no fee, no insurance, no sponsors, no map, no plan, no organization, no support. No , no T-shirt, sticker, patch, pin, or swag. There is no release to sign because there so no one to release any more than the last time you took your bike somewhere or showed up to talk with some fun folk. It's like Burning Man. Without the smells. :blink:

So, let's say some V11 are likely to be in Tellico Plains, Tennessee. Some at [the] LodgeatTellico, but often folks stay all around. This year, a little nuance: the theme of the Slimey Crud Run, up in Wisconsin, seems à propos, especially for Saturday:

"Show up. Plan your own route."

:race: :race: :race:

____________________________________________________________________________________

[edit: The "Slimey Crud Run" motto was the inspiration for the SSR motto, with our own V11 twist]:

Get There.

Bring tools.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

I was perusing some archives of the South'nSpineRaid and ran across this post [edited] from SSR XII/ 2016 and thought it lends some perspective:

Posted

As spring is performing its springing here, and the Sport rolled over 98,000 miles today, I'm motivated to revisit the raison d'etre of Spine Raids, and Spine Raiders.

The inaugural South'n Spine Raid was all about getting a few V11 together in order to get some 'semblance of understanding of their traits, transitions , and taming. This was 2004, about a year after :notworthy: Jaap launched this forum. It was massively revealing to put the four V11 side by side and pore over them.

Along with my 2000 Sport was  the 2002 LeMans of TheProfessorHisOwnSelf @andy york (now with something like 120,000+ miles), @Bill Hagan on a 2003 Ballabio whose absence in his life haunts him to this day, and a beautiful black 2004 LeMans.  Since no photographic evidence exists of that event, we need say no more . . . :whistle:

With no SSR in 2005, we've gathered every year since in the TN/NC/GA mountains. The collective experience is beyond words. So many great folks, so many interesting bikes (not all V11 or even Guzzi), so many Tech Sessions (some rather impromptu!)

After moving the meeting place around for several years, we've settled on TheLodgeatTellico for so many reasons, not the least of which are [the] garage and [the]breakfast!  :luigi:  :food:

I am reminded to repeat the disclaimer: This is not an event, rally, or official gathering of any kind. It has nothing to do with V11LeMans.com, its owner, administrators, moderators, members, posters, spouses, offspring, or pets. There is no fee, no insurance, no sponsors, no map, no plan, no organization, no support. No , no T-shirt, sticker, patch, pin, or swag. There is no release to sign because there so no one to release any more than the last time you took your bike somewhere or showed up to talk with some fun folk. It's like Burning Man. Without the smells. :blink:

So, let's say some V11 are likely to be in Tellico Plains, Tennessee. Some at [the] LodgeatTellico, but often folks stay all around. This year, a little nuance: the theme of the Slimey Crud Run, up in Wisconsin, seems à propos, especially for Saturday:

"Show up. Plan your own route."

:race: :race: :race:

____________________________________________________________________________________

[edit: The "Slimey Crud Run" motto was the inspiration for the SSR motto, with our own V11 twist]:

Get There.

Bring tools.

“It’s like Burning Man. Without the smells” 

:D:lol::sun: Classic Doc, what a great “idea”

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joe said:

“It’s like Burning Man. Without the smells” 

:D:lol::sun: Classic Doc, what a great “idea”

I had to look up that “Burning Man” reference.

I then saw that "smells" at one had nothing to do with the other.

A noncombatant in the sexual and other revolutions of the '60's and '70's, I have never been into druidical gatherings of the Burning Man sort, tho my parents, both closet bohemians and hippies, would have loved to attend the early ones at least.

For me, however, the term evoked another “burning man,” and I was puzzled by the connection until I did the wikipedia thing and learned about about the one @docc mentioned.

The "Dead Man’s Corner” in my head was this:

i-hSbwRVc-L.jpg

I visited that spot in May 2018 with five other Old Flatulent paratroopers like me who, at least in our fading memories, “were soldiers once … and young.” :oldgit:

We toured several battlefields and cemeteries where, in particular, our “alma mater,” the 82d Airborne Division, the 101st, and other airborne formations had fought in WWII.  Many are still there.  :notworthy:

As I started my Army life as a tanker, and my father was an armored crewman in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy in that unpleasant international event of ’39 - ‘45, I was especially drawn to the affair at Dead Man's Corner.

By now, if still reading, here’s that story:

God bless all those brave folks.

Feeling (somewhat) apologetic for thread drift, Joe & others, I did do some Guzzi-sightseeing, too.  Met these folks at a rest area at a rest area:

i-hSPmxLP-L.jpg

And stopped here to kick tires:

i-Pn6RDvr-L.jpg

Jaap was, regrettably, vacationing in the UK when I was near his home Nijmegen/Arnhem, of “A Bridge Too Far” fame, so we couldn’t link up.

Ciao,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

Bill, thank you for your service and the lesson in history. I started up the OL' Google machine and found this....

https://dday-experience.com/en/

dead-mans-corner-museum-dday-center.jpg

Yes, quite the place.

BTDT ... but, thankfully, not in June of '44.  :whistle:

Our entire 10-day tour of airborne battlefields in France, Holland, Belgium, and Grmanywas inspiring.  

Touring cemeteries was sobering.  

The latter visits included German ones; two of my uncles were in the Wehrmacht and my mom a physical therapist at a German military hospital in Rottweil!  As a retired career U.S. Army guy that amazes even me.  Stories, if you care, in May in Kentucky.   :huh:

Bill

• Like 4