Nineteenth South'n Spine Raid 2023 Tennessee USA

docc

50 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

two of my uncles were in the Wehrmacht

Two of mine also, one in Norway one in Panzertruppe on the Eastern Front.  Both were POWs eventually, of US and RUS respectively.  The latter had some stories.  His wife, my great-aunt, lived thru the firebombing of Berlin, sweetest woman.  He taught me how to fix a lawn mower engine when I was 10, had me confirm there was spark by having me hold the spark plug wire while he pulled the cord.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, mikev said:

He taught me how to fix a lawn mower engine when I was 10, had me confirm there was spark by having me hold the spark plug wire while he pulled the cord.  

What is it about that generation...of Germans? My Grandfather taught me in precisely that way. He was a WWI AAC mechanic. His 'right hand man' was a former POW Luftwaffe mechanic. Our family comes primarily from Frankfurt and Gdansk, though both in the 1800s. Learning was always interactive with them.

One Great-Uncle drove a heavy truck through WWII, another was tail gunner in a B-17 and after surviving 10 missions with a dozen kills, they brought him to Pensacola to be a gunnery instructor. 

• Like 4

Wasn’t the spark plug experience mandatory growing up all over :rasta:.

Some things just need 1experience to be remembered.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Wasn’t the spark plug experience mandatory growing up all over :rasta:.

Some things just need 1experience to be remembered.

Cheers Tom.

My brother, who got me into motorcycling, performed this valuable life-learning experience for my eternal benefit . . .

IMG_9379.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I feel like the SSR may have mellowed over time, coming into our nineteenth.

No law enforcement stories since, well, "pretty early on"  :blink: , plus no one would have dreamed of messing with Seventh South'n SpineRaiders.

These guys could re-gap your plugs in a heartbeat . . .

<_<     :ph34r:     :ninja:  

DSCN0716.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A buddy of mine was having a get together on his boat late one afternoon and he walked up on them at the stern and was listening to them talking about meds & ailments . He busted them out saying "40 yrs ago you were braggin' about what drugs you had been taking & now you're complainin' about all the drugs you are taking" !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You know you're gettin' old when you make the statement "it's been 47 yrs. since I've smoked ANY pot . Then you sit there and muse that for an hour. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gstallons said:

You know you're gettin' old when you make the statement "it's been 47 yrs. since I've smoked ANY pot . Then you sit there and muse that for an hour. 

:rasta:

On 3/11/2023 at 4:59 PM, docc said:

I feel like the SSR may have mellowed over time, coming into our nineteenth.

No law enforcement stories since, well, "pretty early on"  :blink: , plus no one would have dreamed of messing with Seventh South'n SpineRaiders.

These guys could re-gap your plugs in a heartbeat . . .

<_<     :ph34r:     :ninja:  

DSCN0716.JPG

Docc, anybody in this pic still attending the Spine Raids?

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Docc, anybody in this pic still attending the Spine Raids?

Nope. Two of them were one-timers, one was a guest of a longstanding SpineRaider, and the other has come six or eight times, but not lately.

I guess once the blue lights stopped flashing, they all got bored and went to Daytona . . . B)

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 10:05 PM, al_roethlisberger said:

Yes, both are a loooong ride, with lots of turns... perhaps too many if there is such a thing  ;) (Tail of the Dragon nearby, which based on my years riding in the Santa Cruz Mountain is something I think I'd find tedious after the first 100 turns <_< )

All that kidding and seriousness aside... it would be great fun to meet everyone out on this side of the continent.

But it would indeed be a long ride for me, after not riding in many years, and the space between Sanford (Raleigh) and the mountains is not super interesting.

And of course, the big issue is the bike.  It has sat for many years, so I have to go through the whole thing, then break it back in to satisfy any qualms about its long distance reliability.

But September is a long ways off, so you never know ;)

@al_roethlisberger . . . I hear there is still a room left at The Lodge. Trailer your [highly modified] provenant 2002 LeMans.  We can make a TechSession of it.  "Show&Tell !"

Give advice, take notes, trade parts . . .

IMG_6417.jpg

IMG_8331.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Thinking that this will be the official debut of my new Guardia d’Onore V85. 

:mg:

Bill

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5307.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bill Hagan said:

Thinking that this will be the official debut of my new Guardia d’Onore V85. 

:mg:

Bill

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5307.jpeg

Perfetto! :drink:

It will be fun to gather at the pavilion and try to recount all the different Guzzis Bill Hagan has ridden to South'n SpineRaids since the first in 2004 . . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1