Independent Guzzi Mechanic - Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Area of the USA

CSP Rider

Hoping someone can point me in the direction of a decent indy shop that's willing to work on a 2002 MG V11 LeMans.  I recently acquired this machine (my first Guzzi) and after only a tank of gas, the gearbox decided to come apart (pics below).  My local dealer (West Chester, PA) is able to obtain the parts (movable hose in Guzzi speak) but they are unable to work on the internals of the transmission due to lack of special tools.  I did check the service bulletin provided elsewhere on this amazing site, and my VIN falls outside the affected machines for that specific recall, even though the failure is the same part.  May try Kissel's out in central PA as well, but open to hearing from the community here on other alterntives.

Really would prefer not to pull the transmission myself, but if it comes to that you can bet on many more posts from throughout that process... :).

Gearbox.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh man, I'm sorry - not a great start to your ownership. You seem to be handling better than I would!
Anyway, I would recommend contacting The Spare Parts Company (www.sparepartsco.us) in Philly. They've been servicing Guzzis since the late 70s. I haven't personally used them, but have heard they do good work (if you're not in a big hurry). Better now than during the good riding season up here.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

Oh man, I'm sorry - not a great start to your ownership. You seem to be handling better than I would!
Anyway, I would recommend contacting The Spare Parts Company (www.sparepartsco.us) in Philly. They've been servicing Guzzis since the late 70s. I haven't personally used them, but have heard they do good work (if you're not in a big hurry). Better now than during the good riding season up here.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Nope, not a great start at all!  I tried calling Spare Parts last week, and their message says they are closed indefinitely due to a water main break in the area.  Not sure how long that's been the case, but certainly bad timing for me...  Hoping to find someone to work on this thing, and not kill me on the cost, so I can enjoy it when the weather breaks.  Other options are pulling the gearbox myself (which I really don't want to do) or parting the bike out.  Good news is that it has a lot of parts that the members here are after (full titanium exhaust, factory rear cargo rack, carbon bits galore -- to name a few).  I would much rather fix it and ride it though.

• Like 1

I'll broaden the scope here to include any shops in the US that have the tools, and know how, to rebuild the gearbox if I yank it and send it out. Appreciate any leads. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CSP Rider said:

I'll broaden the scope here to include any shops in the US that have the tools, and know how, to rebuild the gearbox if I yank it and send it out. Appreciate any leads. 

Have you considered replacing the whole unit? Install complete without taking it apart and all the special tools issues. Have a buddy w a V11 Sport, with both a salvaged transmission and motor, bike runs fine.

593F9443-703D-4E2B-9957-E9565AE19854.png

• Like 2

Might be better to find a used trans? and swap it out.

By the time you track down a shop that can do the work and has the time, then get it there, pay them for all the parts and labor  and then hope they do it right....just sayin.

• Like 3

Definitely considering replacing the whole thing, and that ebay unit out of Germany looks to be exactly what I need. Local dealer declined to do the rebuild, but was going to get back to me on a swap. If they give the greenlight I'll get that unit ordered up ASAP. Looks like I'd have to transfer the rear cover, gear selector unit, and the shift selector arms to make it complete. 

• Like 1

Spine frames are a bit of a challenge lining up mechanics, not old enough for the vintage guys,,not new enough for the modern guys.

I'll throw 2 names out,they probably wouldn't want to do the work,but they're both highly respected and might know of someone close to you that's capable.

Charlie at ACC Antietam Classic Cycle in Maryland does excellent tranny work, but I've only ever seen him touching Loop & Tonti frame bikes (301)432-2275.

Jim Hamlin at Hamlin Cycles in CT is highly respected as well,but to my knowledge modern stuff is his main business 203-942-2232

I'm not an Ebay guy so I don't know how to search it properly;but I know within the last year, while searching for other parts,I've stumbled across salvage dealers down in the US who were parting out a V11 on Ebay,you might get lucky. fwiw idk fyi.

Good luck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with 80CX100 about Jim Hamlin @ Hamlin Cycles in CT, he is a top notch guy. He sells used Guzzi's my guess is he can work on V11 Lemans. As for parts or special tools, you may consider Curtis at Harpers Moto Guzzi.

https://www.harpermoto.com/

https://www.harpermoto.com/parts-lookup/2000-2009-moto-guzzis/v-11-le-mans-1100-2002/transmission-complete-ii/

frame-transmission-complete-ii.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I sent you a PM on WG a week ago.  it looks like you have some folks that are within a day's drive of you.  All have a great reputation.  

Thanks. Everyone on MG told me to come to this site for guidance, so here I am ^_^. Appreciate the recommendation and may give then a look if something closer doesn't pan out. Cheers. 

The gearbox Joe had pictured looks like the way to go !  You get in there and things could get out of hand quick .When you do get it going , fill w/new fluid , ride it 100 mi. and drain / refill. Examine the fluid to see what it looks like .

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, gstallons said:

The gearbox Joe had pictured looks like the way to go !  You get in there and things could get out of hand quick .When you do get it going , fill w/new fluid , ride it 100 mi. and drain / refill. Examine the fluid to see what it looks like .

And, then there's the recommended "updates" ...indestructible shift spring, etc.

• Haha 1