Independent Guzzi Mechanic - Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Area of the USA

CSP Rider

5 hours ago, CSP Rider said:

Thanks Bill! Appreciate the offer and may take you up on that. Can we affix some "V11 Support Vehicle" stickers to the Norge? Maybe matching "support" polos for you and Kathi to make it official... :D

We could make a very engaging 2 day run out of getting there for sure...

Regrettably -- but necessarily -- the Norge is history.  Sold it last April to a young couple who love it and have added miles of smiles to its already82K.

As I have said elsewhere (and maybe even here somewhere) about that, anyone can ride a motorcycle 100+ mph, but coming to a stop sign at the top of a hill on broken pavement, two-up -- without even considering the metric tons of Kathi's stuff in our panniers and trunk (Her Grace :wub: allows me the tank bag :whistle:) -- is more of a challenge than, at 75+, I am willing to take with said precious passenger.  

With four more Guzzis in the stable, and the EV, even at 107K miles, a reliable, safe, and pleasant pilot and pillion mount, it's not as if I am inconsolable about my plight. :whistle:

So, next SSR, either we'll take the EV or Kathi will drive one of our Fits as a sag wagon.

FWIW, while hardly a fixed route -- and I have run this axis of advance to points south numerous times, I often think the most fun way to get to Princeton, at least, is to get to SR 42 to Newport, US 460 to Narrows, SR 61 to Rocky Gap, then up US 52 &  (very briefly, thankfully) I-77 to Princeton.  

As TR was fond of saying, "Deeelightful." :race:

Bill

[P.S.  Edited to apologize for continuing the thread drift!  Best wishes on that new-to-you Guzzi.  It's one of my favorites.]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

Regrettably -- but necessarily -- the Norge is history

Ah that's right Bill, I do recall you mentioning the Norge was no longer in the Grappa. I had Norge on the brain as there was a beauty of a white one on the showroom floor yesterday I was admiring. Don't worry we can find a suitable place on the EV to affix the support stickers... :grin:

On a bright note to end the weekend: I was able to purchase that complete gearbox off eBay this afternoon! Now just need to wait for it to arrive from Germany and hope it shows up in good shape... Making progress here though and now a few steps closer to having my V11 ready for Spring. Appreciate all the input/feedback/advice from the community here and hope to meet up with some of you in person this coming season. 

Cheers. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update here: Apparently St Valentine is a fan of V11's because the postman dropped a gearbox in my garage today! Waiting to hear back on scheduling the swap, and hoping she'll be all done before the weather breaks here. Will update as things progress, but today was a positive change in the right direction. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 3:55 PM, CSP Rider said:

On a bright note to end the weekend: I was able to purchase that complete gearbox off eBay this afternoon! Now just need to wait for it to arrive from Germany and hope it shows up in good shape...

10 minutes ago, CSP Rider said:

Quick update here: Apparently St Valentine is a fan of V11's because the postman dropped a gearbox in my garage today! Waiting to hear back on scheduling the swap, and hoping she'll be all done before the weather breaks here. Will update as things progress, but today was a positive change in the right direction. 

Three weeks and a couple days from "click" to reality? Seems pretty awesome!

I hope the new gearbox checks out and the local shop has you squared away. :luigi:  :race:

• Like 1

Thanks @docc! I thought 3 weeks from Germany was pretty decent, especially considering shipping was free and the DHL strike going on.

Plan is to have them check all wear/serviceable items while it's apart and replace anything suspect. Will have the notorious shift selector spring replaced, driveshaft greased, and clutch/flywheel checked and/or replaced. Anything else you'd recommend doing while it's torn down? With the Ballabio bars this bike fits me well and I intend to do a bunch of day trips on it this Spring (at minimum). Can't wait.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CSP Rider said:

Thanks @docc!

Anything else you'd recommend doing while it's torn down?

With the Ballabio bars this bike fits me well and I intend to do a bunch of day trips on it this Spring (at minimum). Can't wait.

Haha, well, the shop won't want to do all of this, but great time to check/grease the swingarm bearings and some (?) of the items on this compilation . . .

Recommended spring shakedown ride:

• Like 1

Now that's a checklist! And you're right the shop won't do all of it, but I'll definitely keep that on file for future reference. 

The Spring Spine Raid looks like a great time, but I'll unfortunately be tied up that weekend with another obligation. @Bill Hagan had sent me the Fall ride details and I may try and make that one a reality, with a nice helping of Virginia's finest asphalt on the way of course. :D

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Well the mighty Goose finally came home today! The guys at Motoplex in West Chester were absolutely awesome to deal with and have my 2002 V11 feeling like a new bike. I had them replace any and all bearings and seals that were touched in the gearbox refresh, and we ended up keeping my original case to ensure the "patina" between engine and gearbox remained intact (as much as a 2002 can). While every thing was apart we also replaced the clutch, removed the Power Commander, and installed a Titanio ECU I had on hand. Bike runs like a dream and can't wait to put some more miles on it this weekend. 

• Like 6

On 2/14/2023 at 7:51 PM, CSP Rider said:

Now that's a checklist! And you're right the shop won't do all of it, but I'll definitely keep that on file for future reference. 

The Spring Spine Raid looks like a great time, but I'll unfortunately be tied up that weekend with another obligation. @Bill Hagan had sent me the Fall ride details and I may try and make that one a reality, with a nice helping of Virginia's finest asphalt on the way of course. :D

Perhaps perfect timing . . .

• Like 1