spam email notifications

footgoose

For three hours this (US) morning, Jaap and I worked to block and delete up to a dozen new users ("members") and probably that many posts from each username in Technical Topics.  I was on it within 25 minutes of the first post, but the battle raged on as the attacker kept using alternate usernames.

Ultimately, I thought we won.

Yet, this is the first I have heard of an email breach. Anxious to hear if any other members experienced this and, if so, why some email accounts could be more vulnerable. (To clarify: email and not through the forum's "Messaging" system?)

Thanks for reporting.

[edit: I changed the topic title to focus our members on the issue.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• docc changed the title to email spam
1 minute ago, footgoose said:

Just email alerts. No accompanying "So and so has sent you a message"

Help me understand:

You got email notifications from V11LeMans.com of a message left in the forum's Message system?

But, no actual emails from an outside address?

And no actual "PMs" or messages in your forum inbox?

docc, thanks to you and Jaap for the good work. Much appreciated. :)

I just checked the spam folder at my provider. I haven't had any from here.

Good thing I looked though. I sent in a renewal application for my passport to the Australian embassy about a week ago. I found an e-mail just now in the spam folder that looks to be genuine asking for payment for the processing. If I hadn't looked, I would possibly have not found it. I'll have to ring them tomorrow to make sure it is real, but if it is, I need to pay that so they will start processing the application. :huh:

• Thanks 1

• docc changed the title to spam email alerts

no actual "PMs" or messages in my forum inbox, just these in gmail. this is one

Hi footgoose,
samoyi has posted a topic, 📲Aeromexico Airlines 📞+1-(878)-225-0005📞 Reservation Number📲

default_photo.png  
Posted in Technical Topics
📲Aeromexico Airlines 📞+1-(878)-225-0005📞 Reservation Number📲
Aeromexico Airlines 878-225-0005 Reservation Number Have you ever faced any issue while Booking flight tickets online? If yes, then Aeromexico Ai...
Go to this Topic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The mail included V11 Le Mans, some writing, was it a lot of #s. Figured something NR, so just deleted.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

Like footgoose shows there, but also V11 Le Mans.

Cheers Tom.

I've never seen a "Go to this topic " notification.

So, no email from an outside sender (whew!) and no flood of "Personal Messages" in the forum's Messaging system . . .

The attacker met with three hours of push-back. Jaap did a great job of deleting these accounts as they appeared.

• Like 1

Docc, can you see the profile settings of other users? (I can in the German forum for which I am an administrator).

If you can, look at mine and compare. I don't have e-mail notification activated for anything, except for a couple of things that I actively have to opt in to. Perhaps the others who are answering here have e-mail notification on for new content somehow. :huh2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, docc said:

I've never seen a "Go to this topic " notification.

So, no email from an outside sender (whew!) and no flood of "Personal Messages" in the forum's Messaging system . . .

The attacker met with three hours of push-back. Jaap did a great job of deleting these accounts as they appeared.

you're right, mine always says 'go to this post', which takes me from the email to the site. No outside the forum senders to me.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Docc, can you see the profile settings of other users? (I can in the German forum for which I am an administrator).

If you can, look at mine and compare. I don't have e-mail notification activated for anything, except for a couple of things that I actively have to opt in to. Perhaps the others who are answering here have e-mail notification on for new content somehow. :huh2:

Admin_Jaap can see these things.

Good point about variations in Notifications settings selections