spam email notifications

footgoose

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

Also, the forum is only visible to registered members who are logged in. Perhaps not as accessible, but we don't get any spam at all there. :huh2:

Yep, I know. I am a reading member there. But I wanted to keep the forum accessible for Google and luckily we don't have any problems with copyrighted material. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 8:53 AM, Admin Jaap said:

Well, I've altered the settings. New members will have to validate their membership themselves an on top of that I have to manually validate them. Furthermore I have blocked posting for pending members. That should suffice. (I hope ;-) )

Basically, a week into these changes and this issue is resolved. I see "Guests" viewing content, and still some attempted "logging in."  I watched one that I would have "Flagged as Spammer" attempt to register and did not get past Jaap.

I also see a legitimate new member has successfully joined.

Thank you, again,:notworthy:   @Admin Jaap, for the extra effort and continued support of this community! :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, footgoose said:

look at unread content. A BUTT load of map postings

Not sure what changed to our forum software "13 hours ago", but numerous "Member Map Markers" were added to our data base, even from many years ago.

Is this the "Spam bots are back at it again " concern?

• Like 1

Seems like another bunch of them (map markers...) have just appeared. "Unread content" says three minutes ago.

docc or Jaap, are the members with the "new markers" also new members, or are they older member accounts?

Just looked through those "new" map markers. At least some of the members concerned seem to be established members, not new. A lot of the names look genuine, too.

This one, apparently the first in this round of "new" map markers, looks very suspicious though.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/profile/11549-deltaairline7890/

• Thanks 1

Thanks, flagged that one, now.

A new strategy to hide fake accounts?

edit: I just scrolled all the new map markers and did not find any more suspicious account names. It looks like the server just caught up the last couple years' map markers from new accounts.

• Like 1

"It looks like the server just caught up the last couple years' map markers from new accounts"

What. I thought docc..:mg:.

• Thanks 1