spam email notifications

footgoose

FYI, today "reCAPTCHA " security verification was added to the forum's new account security screening.

(Thank you,  :notworthy:  @Admin Jaap !)

The next ten hours will reveal the effectiveness. It has been quite a week. <_<

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I unfollowed technical topics early on as docc requested and it made no apparent difference. I have now unfollowed all sub forums and all 2200:blink:topics I've followed over the years. :bbblll:

I'm certain I'm gonna miss something now:thing::glare:

will report progress or lack of

10 minutes ago, docc said:

The best I can make myself feel, after getting up twice in the night, is that I flagged one just now with zero posts. :nerd:

And another. "Whack-a-Mole"

• Thanks 2

Goodonya docc. :bier:

I mentioned further up that I had similar experiences with a now defunct forum. I got a couple whilst they were posting. It's a very rewarding feeling, imagining the reaction when they hit "send" and find themselves logged out and unable to log back in. :grin:

• Thanks 1

I just tried a fake registration. Don't worry, I cancelled at the bit where it says an e-mail was sent. The e-mail adress was bs.

What I noticed was that the text window for the trick question offered the correct answer. The browser had obviously "remembered" what I wrote in there last time. Don't know if anything can be done about that (except changing the question periodically).

I saw the question, and the reCAPTCHA, but no further security measures. Should there be more?

A further thought: I know it means more effort, but have you, i.e. collectively those responsible for the forum administration, considered having new registrations having to be manually approved before they go through?

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I just tried a fake registration. Don't worry, I cancelled at the bit where it says an e-mail was sent. The e-mail adress was bs.

What I noticed was that the text window for the trick question offered the correct answer. The browser had obviously "remembered" what I wrote in there last time. Don't know if anything can be done about that (except changing the question periodically).

I saw the question, and the reCAPTCHA, but no further security measures. Should there be more?

A further thought: I know it means more effort, but have you, i.e. collectively those responsible for the forum administration, considered having new registrations having to be manually approved before they go through?

Done. And done, again . . .

I suggested we make the question something about the wire color from pin 82 of the known flinky relay of the first series V11, but cooler heads prevail. :grin:

• Haha 8

The changes our faithful Admin has made so quickly this week have been focused and effective. I still see half of the "Online Users" could be malicious, but are not getting through . . .

th?id=OIP.fWBaCULVVrTHs9ntMUznbQHaDn%26p

• Like 4