spam email notifications

footgoose

Certainly, then, Followed Content is what creates the notifications.

Otherwise, once again, I spoke too soon about the effectiveness of our efforts to stop the leak in the dike.

I just flagged ten accounts, that were created in the last four hours, with over four hundred posts. :angry2:

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, pete roper said:

@#!#$# me lonesome! Three or four pages in one hit today! 

Can anyone explain what these idiots are hoping to achieve? Because I can't understand it!

@pete roper,

Th best explanation for the disruptive tactic was provided by @audiomick:

18 minutes ago, gstallons said:

OMG , I spent 45 good minutes dumping/erasing THE TRAVEL JUNK from my forum this AM . 

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but if you log on and see obvious, unwanted spam posts, be patient as they will be hidden/deleted as soon as the account is flagged.

Unfortunately, I have to get a few hours sleep and these multiple, malicious accounts can create well over 100 posts, each, in that time.

Not that your Operator, er, "Moderator" is sleeping much, lately . . .

th?id=OIP.OKVEZLq-d70-i8QP3kmLCgHaD0%26p

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, gstallons said:

IDK how to flag it but I know how to erase it.

Understood. If you just wait a while (a few hours in your case), the unwanted posts will just all go away once I flag the mal-user accounts.

"Whack-a-Mole" until we can produce a solution to this infiltration.

• Like 2

Seriously, now, if you are getting "notifications"/(i.e. - email) of these malicious posts, change the preferences in your account:  Manage Followed Content ("unfollow").

If you are seeing pages of these malicious posts when you log on, be patient and they will be deleted when the intruding account is discovered.

This issue is being monitored and responded to, ongoing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

All the flagged spammers have been deleted just now, along with their posts. I will investigate further today how we can stop this. 
Easiest way is to manually validate every new registration before they can post. Not my preference as the forum should be easily accessible, but it is a solution that will work. Any input is appreciated!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Several other forums I belong to have employed this strategy and it honestly never bothered me. I think it gives an interested individual time to poke around and explore. They still have instant access to the most comprehensive source of V-11 information on the planet. Waiting 12-24 hours to post seems like a small price to pay.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

Easiest way is to manually validate every new registration before they can post. ...

That is how it works here:

https://www.guzzi-forum.de/Forum/

Also, the forum is only visible to registered members who are logged in. Perhaps not as accessible, but we don't get any spam at all there. :huh2:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, deadpen69 said:

Several other forums I belong to have employed this strategy and it honestly never bothered me. I think it gives an interested individual time to poke around and explore. They still have instant access to the most comprehensive source of V-11 information on the planet. Waiting 12-24 hours to post seems like a small price to pay.  

Well, I've altered the settings. New members will have to validate their membership themselves an on top of that I have to manually validate them. Furthermore I have blocked posting for pending members. That should suffice. (I hope ;-) )

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6