spam email notifications

footgoose

Of the one hundred-or-so "Map Markers" that were added, only one looked suspicious and was flagged (thank you, @audiomick).

Many of the added markers are among our active and contributing members. Looks like a forum update to me, but that is well out of my paygrade to say. :huh2:

At some point, when this matter is deemed resolved, I will click "Mark Site As Read " and all of that will go away (for me).

Thank you, everyone for your diligence. And patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Update: The Admin responded:

"Don't worry, I've updated the member map plugin and I got the option to automatically add members that have filled in their location during registration, but weren't added yet. And there are probably some spam accounts that came through the cracks in the last few years. Mystery solved. Thanks for the heads up! "

Members, simply go to the top right of the page and select "Mark Site as Read" to stop showing the new markers.

• Like 2

I have actually got rid of all the new map markers that recently popped up in my unread content stream by clicking on each and every one of them - click>back>click>back... - it helps that I have the browser back button on the mouse itself and a decent connection, and although my computer, like its owner, is of an older generation, it didn't take too long; with a little patience...

I didn't want to use the "Mark site read" function and loose the "unread content" feature when I explore or revisit old threads, being able to know what I’ve already read and what is new(unread) to me is helpful when searching for specific tech info.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

I didn't want to loose the "unread content" feature...

I don't think you need to worry about that. The "mark site as read" button simply marks anything that the forum thinks you haven't looked at up to that moment as read. It is a  "one off" function, i.e. applies only once at the moment of use for the state of the forum at the moment of use.

Anything that you have already looked at doesn't turn up in "unread content" any more anyway. Anthing that is added to the forum after you use "mark site as read" appears the next time you use "unread content".

That is how I use the forum, i.e. show unread content, ,open anything that is interesting (mostly everything...), and if anything is left over (like the "new" map markers or the recent spam), then it is removed from the "unread" listing with "mark site as read". It works well. :)

• Like 1

Thank you for mansplaining how things work to this little old fool...

33 minutes ago, audiomick said:

The "mark site as read" button simply marks anything that the forum thinks you haven't looked at up to that moment as read

Precisely!! If you had read my post properly, which I wrote with the intention to be helpful to others, you might have noted that I was refering to old threads and how it helps me to know what I have already read and what is new (unread) to me, typically when I'm researching a particular subject. And unless you have been on this forum since the beginning, I doubt you could have possibly read everything that was ever posted in the 20+ years this forum has existed. 

I understand we all consume this forum in different ways and I'm glad to know that you think the way you do it is the best way... but it's not the only way!

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

I don't think you need to worry about that.

As for that... I'll try not to. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

... If you had read my post properly...

Well, I thought I had, actually. After having read it at least three times before I answered.

What I failed to notice were the words "that I haven't read yet" after "old topics". :huh2:

Never mind. I thought I was being helpful too, and I don't want to start a war here. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being the guy that has read every post on these forums for the last twenty years, I am never sure how to advise managing posts and topics.

One of the reasons that some of you will see things that I do not (like the new Map Markers).

Thanks, again, to members questioning new or unexplained activity so that it can be investigated and acted upon as necessary.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, audiomick said:

What I failed to notice were the words "that I haven't read yet" after "old topics".

Yes, I'm sorry, I suppose I coud be more detailed in my explanations :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, docc said:

Being the guy that has read every post on these forums for the last twenty years

You are in a league of your own docc...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2