Spring reprise

belfastguzzi

Hello Charlie and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you must have done what I also did; loosened the adjuster when it wasn't necessary.

Also, unfortunately, there is no quick remedy for this adjustment. Try to put it back as close as you can by eye, then ride and try shifting, up and down. If it isn't right, turn the adjustment screw maybe an 1/8th of a turn (one way or the other) and repeat trying. Sounds simple and really it is, but don't settle for anything less than perfect on the shifts. :grin:

:ninja::mg:

• 1 month later...

2000 V11S with 65,000 km on stock spring. Just replaced the trans fluid (after 20,000 km) w SPH (750ml) and went for a test-ride. Just as I was thinking how well everything was working .... stuck in gear (5th I think) - looks and feels like springitis. Coincidence? Bizarre at the very least. Fortunately I have a spare spring so am draining the fluid as we speak in order to confirm ...

Gio

PS - must add my thanks in advance to belfast and others for valuable info ...

UPDATE - removed cover and determined that spring seemed ok and was stuck in 5th. Closer inspection of residual SPH in base of box revealed a short (~ 2cm) pin made of wound steel.

I figured this must be the "stop pin" as located between two bolt holes, half-way up the right side of the cover plate - cleaned out the retaining hole and tapped back into place. This pin is only seated on one side and so could (in theory) work loose and enter the trans fluid. It's function seems to be to stop over travel of the selector arm. See top centre of belfast's last pic which shows pin in place.

Re-filled with saved fluid and road-tested - as good (if not slightly better) than new.

Gio

PS - Confirming 750ml SPH gives a level half-way up sight glass after thorough draining. If selector plate removed then add ~770ml (due to additional loss) ... that SPH sure likes to stick around.

• 14 years later...

I removed the side plate with attached pre-selector mechanism to inspect the spring after my V11 Sport stuck in 3rd, and so was able to confirm that the spring has broken in the usual place. Now I need to get it in neutral to carry out the replacement. Should I put the side-plate back on in order to get it in neutral manually, or is there a way of doing this with the side-plate off? Thanks

It is easy enough to put it in neutral with the side plate off, and although I've done it at least 100 times, I can't tell you how without having it in front of me. :oldgit:

I'm sure it is addressed in the re engineering thread, though.

Ideally, you should put it in neutral to put the side plate back on anyway. Can you get the rear wheel off the ground? If so, you will need to move the shift selector arms along the two rods until you find neutral. It takes a little guess work at first , but soon you will find how they engage. You can rock the wheel back and forth until it spins freely - and you've found neutral.

I notice you've made three posts, so assume you're new here. Chuck designed and improved "unbreakable" shift spring and I had them manufactured and still have a lot of them on hand. I'll send you a PM.

• Thanks 1

Yep. That worked. Bike now in neutral. Thanks again. Spring is ordered from Gutsibits so should be with me soon.  🤞yes, quite a newcomer. I bought this Greenie last year but my previous bikes included a 1000S, a Griso, a Cali EV and a Stelvio NTX. Great forum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonGuzzi said:

Yep. That worked. Bike now in neutral. Thanks again. Spring is ordered from Gutsibits so should be with me soon.  🤞yes, quite a newcomer. I bought this Greenie last year but my previous bikes included a 1000S, a Griso, a Cali EV and a Stelvio NTX. Great forum. 

Just a hello and a wee heads-up . . .

Put your Gutsibits spring on a chain  and dangle it as a talisman. Install the Chuck-designed spring that Scud has available.  Absolutely worth doing. There is no other spring like it.

^^ I am still not aware of a single failure of any V11 that has the "new" spring installed. Not one. And that's how it should be. There are other springs in the shift mechanism, and they never break.

Was it really 2017 that we started doing that? Wow... time flies.

• Like 2

London,  hope you ordered  a spring from MG to keep the dealer alive,  but a Chuck spring shoud go in there.  Problem goone. 

Cheers Tom. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Scud said:

^^ I am still not aware of a single failure of any V11 that has the "new" spring installed. Not one. And that's how it should be. There are other springs in the shift mechanism, and they never break.

Was it really 2017 that we started doing that? Wow... time flies.

Back when I was a pup, Grandmother said, "The older you get the faster time goes." I thought at the time it was just another of Grandmother's BS stories. She was right again, and I was just young and stupid.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2022 at 4:07 AM, Chuck said:

Back when I was a pup, Grandmother said, "The older you get the faster time goes." I thought at the time it was just another of Grandmother's BS stories. She was right again, and I was just young and stupid.

Weren't we all Chuck..Weren't we all...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2