Piaggio ... what the ...?!

biesel

7 minutes ago, Paul Minnaert said:

So I gave it to Piaggio, can't afford the time and money to fight it.  Web site is now at http://www.minnaert.net

I recall interviews in the Centenery Videos asking the question, "What is one word to sum up Moto Guzzi?"

Pausing only briefly, Alis Agostini replied, "Struggle. "

She would know.

• Like 2

All kidding aside, I propose we pin thread in FAQ with links to current business names with links and a reference to the name that had to be surrendered. :nerd:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, docc said:

Could the model names be next?

Yeah... California, Nevada, the Stelvio National Park, and LeMans are gonna have to think of something quick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, gstallons said:

I like the word left in place but  scribbled out!

I wonder if Piaggio has a Guzzi that goes faster, than yours.

In fact there is nothing misleading in FastGuzzi. 😀

I am starting to worry about the Moto Grappa …

i-JWLw77q-L.jpg

… and am glad I decided to put this sign inside instead of outside.

i-gT69KT9-L.jpg

OTOH, living as I do in Frederick County, at the top of Virginia, I think my views are more of the Molon labe sort ...

b52ecf87-64a4-43f1-9fe0-575b1407fc8f.50c

Seriously, I appreciate the commercial need to protect intellectual property of all kinds, yet, especially for mini-brands such as Moto Guzzi, balancing the loss of trade dress protection by the name becoming generic against the gain from “advertising” by enthusiasts of the marque would sure seem counterproductive.  

Rather than absolute “cease & desist” letters, Piaggio suits might have accomplished the same thing with requiring a token payment for use, thus protecting their ownership without alienating so many Guzzisti.

They must have a rosier view of the moto-future than I do.

Maybe it’s just the “principle of the thing.”

That then gets to that old curse: “God grant my enemy a lawsuit in which he is right.”  :angry2:

Back to reality here, which, in my case, means Her Grace’s list.  :wub::whistle:

Bill

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:
Maybe it’s just the “principle of the thing.”

It's that, and it is a very big corporation that makes millions of scooters and a couple of thousand Moto Guzzis per year. Someone in a suit contracted a lawer's practice to look for "infringements" on the net. No-one is looking to see if the "infringement" is really detrimental to the Moto Guzzi image or not. :huh2:

• Sad 1