Piaggio ... what the ...?!

biesel

10 minutes ago, audiomick said:

It's that, and it is a very big corporation that makes millions of scooters and a couple of thousand Moto Guzzis per year. Someone in a suit contracted a lawer's practice to look for "infringements" on the net. No-one is looking to see if the "infringement" is really detrimental to the Moto Guzzi image or not. :huh2:

Or actually beneficial . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScuRoo said:

Lawyers deliberately try & get people’s backs up to make a fight of it

It merely confirms my updated beliefs that they’re all still just a bunch of vagina owners

Apropos vaginas, I don't own one, either, but I have found them quite useful over the years.  :D

Lawyers less so, and certainly are less  fun -- well, except for one or two that possessed the subject private part, but that was before my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess :wub:, so the less said about that these days, the better.  :whistle: 

As for lawyers, I understand how folks can think as you do -- and, occasionally, I even share that view.  

Still, when I hear such statements, I am reminded of the several times over my 50+ years of practice when I picked up such lawyer-bashing folks at the local jail and how happy they were to see me.  :P

Bill

Member, Kentucky Bar, since 1971  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, footgoose said:

maybe tidy up loose ends for a potential sale of MG?

On the contrary, I suspect it is "cleaning up" after a couple of decades of no-one paying much attention to such matters in the time pre-Piaggio.

An optimistic view is, that they (Piaggio) are serious about the Moto Guzzi brand, and are clearing the decks for the long haul. :huh2:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, audiomick said:

On the contrary, I suspect it is "cleaning up" after a couple of decades of no-one paying much attention to such matters in the time pre-Piaggio.

An optimistic view is, that they (Piaggio) are serious about the Moto Guzzi brand, and are clearing the decks for the long haul. :huh2:

Let's recall that Piaggio has owned MotoGuzzi for the better part of the past two decades (2005). Very nearly as long as deTomaso (1973 to ~1994).

Is this a sign of how serious they are about the brand? It seems so.

Are they hoping to build on the established "old guard?" Evidently not.

• Like 1

I don't think they are that interested in the "old gaurd". There's no money to be made on someone who is riding a bike that is 20 years old or more.

Piaggio wants to profit from the tradition, that is clear, but on their terms I think. Tight control of the brand name, fashionable accessories only from them directly, and so on. They want to sell the new models, not to help keep patching up the old ones. :huh2:

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I don't think they are that interested in the "old gaurd". There's no money to be made on someone who is riding a bike that is 20 years old or more.

Piaggio wants to profit from the tradition, that is clear, but on their terms I think. Tight control of the brand name, fashionable accessories only from them directly, and so on. They want to sell the new models, not to help keep patching up the old ones. :huh2:

I agree 100%

• Like 1

Maybe one can see the direction of the company as where they spent the development money. Piaggio spent it on the Euro 5 compliant small block and a completely new water cooled "Big Block". That said, look at the California model, a Moto Guzzi staple from 1971 to 1921, once they gave up on that model (1400 couldn't make Euro 5), all that's left is the future. Probably another Stelvio along side the V100, its a different customer base than the California EV set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_California#:~:text=Moto Guzzi have produced a,Italian furniture maker Poltrona Frau.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 7:59 PM, docc said:

All kidding aside, I propose we pin thread in FAQ with links to current business names with links and a reference to the name that had to be surrendered. :nerd:

The title and formatting in this new thread is subject to refinement. Help me populate these links, please . . .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 7:49 PM, Bill Hagan said:

As for lawyers, I understand how folks can think as you do -- and, occasionally, I even share that view.  

Agree all hapless kidnapped souls were happy to have their bodies released Bill - doubtless equally happy when they received the bondage bill! 😊 

I admit my awakened aversion is systemic…

“I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.”

~ Harriet Tubman

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2023 at 4:35 AM, ScuRoo said:

Agree all hapless kidnapped souls were happy to have their bodies released Bill - doubtless equally happy when they received the bondage bill! 😊 

I admit my awakened aversion is systemic…

“I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.”

~ Harriet Tubman

Yours reminds me -- perhaps because I am dealing with someone whose location is listed as "UK (Oz)" and who quoted an American :P-- of this from a 16th century Englishman:

The Lawyer makes no plea but for privat profitte, and buildes goodly houses, and purchaseth whole countries about him . . . .  The souldiour serves his countrye for a small stypende, and would be contended with alowance but to buie meate, drinke, and cloath.

[Lawyers] affect eloquence to maintain bad causes; they are studiously affable to procure new clients; they are devilishly subtle to cloak inconveniences.  Seeming to be ministers of light, they hunt after continual darkness, concluding the truth within a golden cloude, making blacke white, and white blacke, darkenyng all things with their distinctions that should give light, so that in all things they seem civil, yet in all things they are most uncivil.

Barnaby Riche, 1577

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. On the merits, maybe Piaggio is right to grab better control of its name, V100's seem to be selling very well.  I am even considering -- while looking carefully to see if Kathi, who is sitting next to me can see this :whistle:-- getting one!  I really dont need one, and a Kubota calls a bit louder, but, of course, none of that is important when dealing with moto-lust. :D:mg: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As much as we discuss this matter , I would think Piaggio would want the name Moto Guzzi promulgated and be happy to have forums , websites and owners groups displaying the name , symbols , etc. Do you know how good it feels to be gassing up and someone comes up and knows what you are riding and can pronounce it correctly ?

I would not doubt that the people running this business have never straddled a bike , couldn't even start one , or know where to add the fuel. The only thing they know is from authority not experience.

• Like 1