Drive line question

activpop

1 hour ago, docc said:

The upper gearbox bracket was feature on the pre-V11 Sport.  It can be fitted, with some fiddling, to the early V11 Red Frame Sports, but not the Rosso Mandello ShortFrame.  Risk of a gearbox case crack at the mounting point is theoretically mitigated by the addition of this bracket to a Red Frame.

Later (2002 and on) LongFrame are braced across the gearbox at the bottom from the lower rear subframe and no frame bracket for this piece.

The wealth of info here is great for a new guy like me...thanks for all the input. I'll be checking on this too. Although I would like to put this on the lift, I think I can keep it sturdier on the floor. Swing arm coming out next weekend.  At least it's not riding season yet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deadpen69 said:

I was saying the same thing a year ago except my alternative was an R Nine-T!

Once you get done fact finding and get this bike sorted it will be worth it!  Have you sourced an upper gearbox bracket yet? 55_pct_frame_mount.JPG

No, but I am now. Thanks!

13 hours ago, activpop said:

Oh what fun.  V100 sounds better all the time!

Oh they'll have their foibles too. I believe the V100 uses the same swingarm bearing set-up as the CARC bikes which means first order of the day with it will be to pull the swingarm off to pack them with grease.:angry::bbblll:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

Oh they'll have their foibles too. I believe the V100 uses the same swingarm bearing set-up as the CARC bikes which means first order of the day with it will be to pull the swingarm off to pack them with grease.:angry::bbblll:

Wonderful!  I'm looking at a CARC bike now. I suppose there is no way to know how it was maintained until you get into it like I am doing on my V11 now?

7 minutes ago, activpop said:

Wonderful!  I'm looking at a CARC bike now. I suppose there is no way to know how it was maintained until you get into it like I am doing on my V11 now?

It's highly unlikely they will have been looked at. Likewise the shock linkage bearings.

Which CARC model are you looking at? Ask in the 'Newer Models' section if you want and I'll fill you in on the things you have to check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/6/2023 at 3:29 PM, activpop said:

Yeah, those marks are not obscure...two white slashes on mine. It's a no brainer.

Factory marks can be incorrect, don't trust them.  Best check alignment of shaft for yourself. The original shaft assembly in my Scura could not be aligned correctly & was either badly made or a mismatch of parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 8:29 AM, Baldini said:

Factory marks can be incorrect, don't trust them.  Best check alignment of shaft for yourself. The original shaft assembly in my Scura could not be aligned correctly & was either badly made or a mismatch of parts.

Good call.  I put reference marks on the tube before removal, so I can check alignment upon installation of the way it was and how it looks with factory marks. Thanks!

Finally got a sunny warm day to place old tire and wheel plus new tire in the sun to heat up for changing. I have to install front wheel in prep for supporting bike for swing arm removal to service front driveline and check universals.  Pleasantly suprised to put it on the balancer and it is perfectly balanced the way it is. Wish I put the old wheel and tire on to check before removal, as that had 1 oz. of weight on it. Seems like a big change, from an ounce to nothing.

• Like 1