Looking at my first CARC bike, what to look for?

activpop

2 hours ago, pete roper said:

Sorry, Docc or someone will have to sort the pics. Whenever I try to post pics here I'm just told they're too big. All the girls used to tell me that too, (Ha! In my dreams!).

Sorted, I hope . . .

That technical post belongs in its own topic to be archived as best we may . . .

To wit:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, activpop said:

Wow, and I'm still trying to figure out if I can swing my leg over this monster with bags on...

I've never ridden a Stelvio,but lusted for one for quite a while;I actually made a decent offer on a NOS 2014,but thankfully the dealer turned my offer down. With all the taxes,prep,freight charges etc,the price would've been 3 X what I paid for my V11 and at this point,that tall & heavy a bike really isn't what I need.

From all the reading I did,the Stelvio owners,describe it as a tall heavy bike,that handles far better than you would think it should.

Many describe it as the most comfortable touring rig they've ever ridden;IF that's what you're looking for in a motorcycle.

fwiw

• Thanks 1

I bought a 2012 Stelvio 3 years (8,000 miles ago) from a friend which had about 22k miles on it. I am third owner, previous two are close friends of each other and me, Guzzi enthusiasts and look after their bikes. The bike had been used about 98 % on pavement, but used through rainy weather on longer trips when that occurred.

This one was a pre rollerization from factory and had the correct rollerization kit installed by the dealer at about 10k miles.

It has the running lights rewired to ensure no shorts.

The issues I have had are fairly common I think. I now have about 30K miles on it, and just follow the service recommendations.

1. Rear suspension and swingarm needle bearings

I noticed the rear suspension link was due for servicing (24K miles) of bearings and also the swingarm bearings (there are no grease nipples on any of these).

When I removed all the rear suspension link needle bearings and seals they all needed replacing (almost no grease in them and rust in many of them). Apparently both the needle bearings and swingarm bearing came from factory with only a smaller amount of light grease at new. I would just take apart and grease it all as a preventative measure, if there is no history of it being done. 

The swingarm tapered needle bearings had little grease and just a very slight indication of rust around the edges starting.

I replaced the link bearings and seals, and cleaned up the swingarm bearings, replaced the seals on these as well.

I used marine grease for all of these ( packed full of grease), as it tends to keep the water from getting in at all. Apparently it is fairly common for these to get contaminated with water.

With the bike on the double stand removing the linkages and swingarm is quite easy and pressing the needle bearings out of and into the linkages is straight forward with a small hydraulic press. Allows to clean up and lubricate the drive shaft, etc. at the same time.

2. Spoke wheels leaking at nipple O rings

Excessive leakage from wheels through the O-rings on the spoke nipples. The rear was loosing 2 to 3 psi per week, and just annoying me. I put the wheel in the water tank and realized that a lot of the spoke nipples were weeping past the o rings ( very small bubbles very slowly). Next time I changed the rear tire I ended up taking them all out one at a time to replace the o rings, clean out and spray each nipple bore in the rim with a engine block enamel to give a smoother finish and then reinstall the spoke/ nipple with proper silicone grease. No leaking in two years since. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do really like the Stelvio for long multi day, 10 or more hours per day trips, and for some nice gravel back road. It is very comfortable and I am old.

I love my V11 for sport riding and shorter day or two trips, even 8 hour one day trips is ok.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Docc, it is also up on ADV rider, I think in the Stelvio thread? Can't remember? But it is useful for those who are after an 8V.

Once their foibles are worked out they are a magnificent motorcycle and the Hi-Cam 1200-8V is very reminiscent of the old Rotax motor used for years in Aprilias in the way it delivers seamless torque from idle to wherever you set the rev limiter, although they run out of breath above 8,250. Mark ran his limiter at 9,000 in 1200 guise and bounced off it the whole time but when we built the 1400 motor he's currently running it was dropped back to 8,250 in respect of the 30 gram heavier pistons. It's a torque monster but we haven't lost a rod yet!

His Griso is currently running a single 60mm throttlebody with a Cali 1400 plenum but still utilises the W5AM controller. That thing will tear your arms clear out of their sockets and stuff them up your arse with mustard on them! It's a beast!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, pete roper said:

Thanks Docc, it is also up on ADV rider, I think in the Stelvio thread? Can't remember? But it is useful for those who are after an 8V.

Once their foibles are worked out they are a magnificent motorcycle and the Hi-Cam 1200-8V is very reminiscent of the old Rotax motor used for years in Aprilias in the way it delivers seamless torque from idle to wherever you set the rev limiter, although they run out of breath above 8,250. Mark ran his limiter at 9,000 in 1200 guise and bounced off it the whole time but when we built the 1400 motor he's currently running it was dropped back to 8,250 in respect of the 30 gram heavier pistons. It's a torque monster but we haven't lost a rod yet!

His Griso is currently running a single 60mm throttlebody with a Cali 1400 plenum but still utilises the W5AM controller. That thing will tear your arms clear out of their sockets and stuff them up your arse with mustard on them! It's a beast!

I'm assuming you work up a new map for it as well?

The factory supplied new mapping for bikes that were rollerised, generally they were crap, in fact I think the map for rollerised Sport 1200's was in fact a repurposed Stelvio map. There are many excellent aftermarket maps available, most notably from John who posts as Xltra I believe on various boards and Mark 'Beetle' Bayley. John's maps are Stelvio specific, Mark's are individually built for different models and different exhausts by a long process of on-road data-logging and testing.

I have worked closely with Mark for years, he only lives about 300km from me and he travels to Canberra a lot for work so we catch up frequently. I run his maps in all three of my Grisos and have installed them to almost universal acclaim in dozens, if not hundreds, more bikes. The process is very simple and intuitive using the Guzzidiag suite of tools and despite what those with a vested interest in making people think that map modification and FI tuning are some sort of 'White Man Ju-Ju' beyond the Ken of mere mortals the hardware is cheap, the software is downloadable for free, although decent people will make a donation to the designer, and most importantly it's SAFE! It is impossible to brick your ECU using Guzzidiag! Which is more than can be said for PADS, the factory tool, which if a map upload is interrupted can very easily brick the ECU! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

PADS, the factory tool, which if a map upload is interrupted can very easily brick the ECU! 

(shaking head and shuffling off) Those Italians and electronics.. it's amazing they could invent the space laser. :rasta:

• Like 1

It will be great to see a new V100 in person.  A Guzzi friend currently riding a V7 Racer here in Houston has a V100 in Green ordered from AF1...will ride up I hope with him to see it when it's ready to be picked up.  He mentioned March as a possibility...let's hope so!  Will make for a good excuse for a ride to see a new bike and visit with the folks up there.  I may end up tempted to place an order!