2017 Ducati Supersport S 939 $11,500

4corsa

Ducatis are beautiful , pricey , expensive and all your friends want to ride it. 

So are 21 yr. old girls. Their amusement park is ready to go 7-24 and they can get by on 2hrs. sleep. I want one but I don't need one.  

• Like 1

So far as the 18k Desmo service.  I was quoted about 4 hours.  Not much different than a 4 cyl sportbike. 

I got hosed on the parts.  I took it to my local mechanic but was in a hurry to make a trip so I told him to get the parts from the local dealer.  Ducati charges $90/ea timing belts ($180) and $45+/ea for plugs ($90).  OK, by aftermarket, the belts are $60 and NAPA will sell you the plugs for less than $20.  So I paid $270 for parts should cost $160.  Easily cudda saved $100+.  

But wait, there's more.  I did put a chain on it at 18k, it might've gone further but was getting a slight tightspot.  The rear sprocket is another piece that's hard to find, I ordered mine from Italy for about $75 IIRC...I think they're better than $200 from Ducati -not a standard or generic design and hard to get (many places want to sell some kind of special quick-change sprocket and carrier deal for $400).  After all that, both sprockets looked OK, so I have the new one in my parts stash.  The front is a standard $20 generic but I recommend going with 14T front, this is about 7% lower gearing than stock.  It wakes the bike up, the close ratio transmission is geared a little high in the lower gears and the opposite for the top gears.  With the sprocket change, this is the only bike that I never have to downshift passing someone on the highway.  I still get about 42 mpg.

Then I put tires on it.  Same Dunlop Roadsmart 3's I have the Greenie.  

One other concern about the bike, that saddlebag bracket has a tendency to sheer two of the bolts.  We've learned to tap out the receiver in the bracket and replace with larger bolts.   The bracket is pretty easy to remove.  I keep it preassembled and can reinstall it in about 20 minutes.

The bike would be near perfect if it had another 30hp and cruise. 

All things considered the cost of ownership has been less than my V11 Sport.  The Sport is fun bike but the Duc is quite a bit more reliable and useable.  Of course I'm comparing bikes that are 15 years apart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Should anyone be interested for reference, it sold for $11,300 (threw in the rear stand as part of the deal).

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1