rotating mass comparison

Cold Desert Rat

Thanks!  Good reference information B)

Of course, less mass can be better, or more mass can be better, depending on the design goals.

I remember talking to Mike Rich about the potential appeal of Carillo rods and other engine lightening, and he said that for a race application that might be attractive, but for street use it may make sense to retain some mass to help smooth out the engine response, etc.  It just depends on the sum of the whole and operational goals.

I'm on the wait list for a set of gears later this year, which is just about right given my other projects... on the list, and yet to be on the list like the new sump pump install and garage roof patching this weekend following a torrential rain storm last weekend, both of which were definitely not "on the list" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Of course, less mass can be better, or more mass can be better, depending on the design goals.

That's it. Less rotating mass can make the motor snappier, more can make it easier to deal with in day-to-day riding conditions.

I like "snappy", but that is just a personal choice.

Reciprocationg mass is another kettle of fish, but that is not what we are talking about here. :)

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 6:02 PM, LowRyter said:

So is this a fully gear drive system or a replacement for the original sprocket with chain?

The first picture in the comparison was of a gear drive that replaces the stock chain drive. It looks like the setup Joe Caruso offers. It replaces the stock sprockets and chain with a set of gears. It is three gears, one for the crank, one for the oil pump, and one for the cam. It is the bees knees.....

I am also a fan of less rotating weight. Sure, more weight can make the engine more tractable. But less weight makes it snappier with quicker throttle response. But then, I like riding harder edged bikes on the street. Give me a motor with instant throttle response and more power than I need......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For Al who is waiting on gears. I spent my adult life in machine shops and around toolmakers. Mr. Caruso's gears are something to behold. The intersection of any two surfaces is properly and perfectly dressed. The workmanship is old school and what costs.

I feel like all of us who have those gears have a little piece of Giuseppe in our bikes. :oldgit:

• Like 4