The rides of the mounted police worldwide...

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

Well, they kind of have to don't they? All that weight... :whistle:

Shoud’nt they all, BUT :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
On 2/22/2023 at 3:44 PM, docc said:

!!!!!

Ha, well spotted @ScuRoo

Both horses are fitted with a type of martingale. Also called a "tiedown" or a "head check". It's used to discourage head raising, which changes the angle of the pressure of the bit. If a horse is spooked or ornery, it might charge off with head raised, becoming dangerous and difficult to stop. Also stops the horse’s head from smacking the rider in the face. I imagine that the big knot has enough weight to warn the horse that the limit is approaching. See a pic of the Delaware police using another variation. 

Police Horses Bennydale.jpg

Delaware Police Horses.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember back in the '90's driving by the track and seeing this guy on the street the day before the "500".   I said, if the cops are this cool, this is the place to party.  My brother and I slept in our car parked on the street before the big race.   I think the revelry stopped about 3am and then the bomb goes off at 5 to alert race fans that track parking opens up. 

Motorcycle.jpg

IIRC the City police as well as the Sheriff's Dept each HAD a drill team.  This was one of the coolest things seeing them to all kinds of precision riding before the start of the Indy 500.  The last time I saw them was in 2000.  Since then the Motorcycle Drill team has been disbanded- at least it's not there for the big race.

20220510-%E2%80%93-Festical-Cover-1.jpgE097-1280x720.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 2/23/2023 at 11:14 PM, ScuRoo said:

Enjoying the merits of equine aids but…

a 6’ drop’ll work

Probably much less for a horse!

The U.S Army once had a field manual for executions.

In quintessential Army form, there was a depiction of a circle on white paper for firing squads.  For hangings, a "drop chart" listed various possible weights of the prospective condemned withcorresponding feet to drop.  Adhering to the guidance ensured breaking the perps' neck without decapitating heads!  

Behind every such rule there is almost always a "bad example."  :blink:

Bill

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

New Entry from Abilene Texas;

Two constables on Honda Goldwing; The Goldwing is just as ageless as the BMW GS; at least in my opinion. Whoever came up with the concept should have a statue somewhere.

The two fellows were friendly and not in uniform. Maybe on a Spring Break trip?

Constables in Abilene Texas

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...