Moto Grappa tech Days MMXXIII

Bill Hagan

Every February for the past several years, I have invited Guzzisti — and, now and then, even a worthy Other Brander ;) — to “Moto Grappa Tech Days” here at the top of Virginia.  

i-gRKT6H3-L.jpg

[If bored beyond the telling, you may find pix of previous events somewhere in the bowels of this forum.]  

This year’s event was last weekend, tho the run-up started before that, and shooting the wounded extended it until Tuesday.  Kathi (who escaped during the time to one set of our grands in N.C.) would say that recovery operations are still ongoing! :D

In many respects, MGTD are way more about beer, bourbon, food, & BS than any real "tech" work, but the gatherings are great fun. :drink:

As I usually do, I have these on Smugmug in “landscape collage” form.  That way, they all open in collected thumbnails first.  

You can then hover your cursor over the individual pix to read, if desired, the captions.

You can make the pix bigger and see (again, if you wish) all of captions in larger text size if you select the slideshow option and let it roll.

Here they are:

MGTD 2023

Bill

• Like 5

Wow, you have an amazing place Bill, really beautiful. 

And I envy those multiple finished garages!  :sun:

Where in Virginia are you located BTW... curious how from from Sanford, NC you are in case I consider coming up for one of these one day.

And as an aside, that motorcycle carrier on the rear of the truck is really a cool gadget! B)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Wow, you have an amazing place Bill, really beautiful. 

And I envy those multiple finished garages!  :sun:

Where in Virginia are you located BTW... curious how from from Sanford, NC you are in case I consider coming up for one of these one day.

And as an aside, that motorcycle carrier on the rear of the truck is really a cool gadget! B)

You are kind, Al; we do love our home and its location.  It is a dramatic change from our previous place in downtown Atlanta.  

As for location, I guess you could not decipher my "Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia" location below my avatar.  Well, had you done so, you'd have been the first!  

Anyway, despite our strangely gerrymandered "Winchester" zip code, we live 12 miles to the NW of that town on US 522 between Gainesboro and Cross Junction, both of which have about four stop signs to the collective credit! :rolleyes:   In any event, you are welcome to visit anytime.  We always have a spare bedroom for visiting Guzzisti.  And, we will be housesitting for our (Wendell) N.C. kids in April, so I may ride your way and say howdy then. 

Bill

22 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

You are kind, Al; we do love our home and its location.  It is a dramatic change from our previous place in downtown Atlanta.  

As for location, I guess you could not decipher my "Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia" location below my avatar.  Well, had you done so, you'd have been the first!  

Anyway, despite our strangely gerrymandered "Winchester" zip code, we live 12 miles to the NW of that town on US 522 between Gainesboro and Cross Junction, both of which have about four stop signs to the collective credit! :rolleyes:   In any event, you are welcome to visit anytime.  We always have a spare bedroom for visiting Guzzisti.  And, we will be housesitting for our (Wendell) N.C. kids in April, so I may ride your way and say howdy then. 

Bill

Ah, gotcha, I see where you are at now  :thumbsup:

Wendell is just up the road from us.  We just spent $1000 having the ignition fixed at the only real Saab shop left in the area in Wendell and my best friend from college days back in Louisiana lives in Wendell :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi Bill;

I think I had that "Grappa" discussion with you sometimes last year?

For those who have not been formally educated, Grappa, and other derivatives such as Marc égrappé, are preferably consumed early in the morning with your coffee. My father was from Burgundy, and I got my initiation at an early age.

There is a variation to "Marc" though. It is named "Calvados", shortened to "Calva". Often mistaken but all original to Normandy: https://drinkcalvados.com/en/

As with Marc, Café Calva was popular until year 2000 I guess? the new generations no longer....

what is cafe calva?

Anyhow Bill, very nice setup that you have there!

Having your workshop in your living room gave me an idea....

Nice food and as far as the wine is concerned I am now completely versed into Spumanti or Prosecco types.

Ci vediamo doppo...

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Aperitifs/digestifs seem to be special in Italy.  

True! you have no idea how many there are, some bitter or sweet, including non alcoholic ones, some made of improbable ingredients.

One of them being Cynar...made from Artichokes!

I drank my Crodino every day on rigs while in Italy. And of course, I discovered Amaro Averna in Sicily; but there are so many different of those. I think everyone knows Fernet-Branca because it is used in cocktails. But it is one of those "Amaro" drinks so popular in Italy.

• Like 1

I have no qualifications to post any kind of synopsis to such an extraordinary gathering of equally extraordinary people, but I always end up with a small selection of favorite images that reflect my feelings in absentia . . .

i-gT69KT9-XL.jpg

i-46Cqdfn-XL.jpg

i-2b6nd5j-XL.jpg

• Like 3