Taped relays

activpop

I know this bike never got the love and care it needed, that's why I am going through the mechanical stuff right now.  But I have no clue why these relays are taped up. Anybody have some thoughts?

large.20230227_131239.jpg

A curious and unnatural modification alright. But then I always wondered if relays vibrating in their sockets was the reason that the relay socket contacts became loose over the years. My bike needed the KiwiRoy fix. Maybe tape or heat shrink sleeve stops jiggling and is a good thing. 

Get the tape off and have a look. If there is a good reason for it, you should be able to see it, and almost certainly also figure out a more elegant way to solve the issue than adhesive tape.

If there is nothing obvious there, then there is adhesive tape on there distributing sticky horrible residue for no good reason, and it is time it was removed. :huh2:

7 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

A curious and unnatural modification alright. But then I always wondered if relays vibrating in their sockets was the reason that the relay socket contacts became loose over the years. My bike needed the KiwiRoy fix. Maybe the heat shrink sleeve stops jiggling and is a good thing. 

@MartyNZ What was the...  

KiwiRoy fix

But yep, my "guess" is that a previous owner wanted to keep the relays from vibrating and/or was concerned about water getting into the relays.  Definitely an inelegant solution for either reason, but it may have been effective :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

@MartyNZ What was the... "KiwiRoy fix"

Not to steal MartyNZ's reply, but . . . .

What would concern me about the heavy tape, likely added as a vibration damper, is heat retention.  The relays get hot, especially #5  (fuel/ignition).

Under-rated or under-built relays get really hot. Hot = bad = failure prone. Lot's of discussion in this lengthy, buy informative thread:

I would think it telling just what relays you find under the tape, @activpop . . .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Docc is on to it (yet again); the two problems with the relays which have conflicting solutions; vibration in the sockets and heat dissipation.

I tried to think of a heatsink that both held the relays steady and conducted away the heat, but the relays in my bike are all different sizes, so I decided that the problem wasn't big enough to need a solution.

• Like 2

gallery_328_223_568267.jpeg

Having been down this road before, I think it is important to revisit the valuable discoveries and solutions. Without neglecting the silliness . . .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, docc said:

gallery_328_223_568267.jpeg

Having been down this road before, I think it is important to revisit the valuable discoveries and solutions. Without neglecting the silliness . . .

You beat me to it  :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest water cooling next!  :rasta:

• Haha 1

I think the relays were taped to keep them dry. I was out on my 1100 sport and it started to rain lightly. The #4 relay got wet, the tach stopped, then the light got dim, then the bike died and I had to have towed home. After drying #4 with a hair dryer the bike started up and ran fine. I won't ride that bike if it looks like rain. I wonder if I sprayed the relays with cage deoxit if that would solve the problem and I'd be safe to ride.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, red lion said:

I think the relays were taped to keep them dry. I was out on my 1100 sport and it started to rain lightly. The #4 relay got wet, the tach stopped, then the light got dim, then the bike died and I had to have towed home. After drying #4 with a hair dryer the bike started up and ran fine. I won't ride that bike if it looks like rain. I wonder if I sprayed the relays with caig deoxit if that would solve the problem and I'd be safe to ride.

Pre-treat and re-treat with Caig DeOxit®, add Vaseline® petroleum jelly for extra (sealing) measure, if you like.

Compared to the 1100Sport, the V11 relays are not terribly susceptible to spray. Unless the fender/hugger systems have been modified/deleted.

It is possible the PO of @activpop's V11 thought the shielding would be a weatherproofing. I would be more concerned that would hold moisture.

Still looking for what relays @activpop finds under the tape . . .

(Once the relay discussion is relatively settled, I have a couple observations/suggestions about what can be seen in the OP's underseat image.)

large.20230227_131239.jpg.c5de624f3c1834

• Like 1

18 hours ago, audiomick said:

Get the tape off and have a look. If there is a good reason for it, you should be able to see it, and almost certainly also figure out a more elegant way to solve the issue than adhesive tape.

If there is nothing obvious there, then there is adhesive tape on there distributing sticky horrible residue for no good reason, and it is time it was removed. :huh2:

Yep, I plan on getting rid of it. Tape is old so I think its lost its stick a bit.

2 hours ago, docc said:

Pre-treat and re-treat with Caig DeOxit®, add Vaseline® petroleum jelly for extra (sealing) measure, if you like.

Compared to the 1100Sport, the V11 relays are not terribly susceptible to spray. Unless the fender/hugger systems have been modified/deleted.

It is possible the PO of @activpop's V11 thought the shielding would be a weatherproofing. I would be more concerned that would hold moisture.

Still looking for what relays @activpop finds under the tape . . .

(Once the relay discussion is relatively settled, I have a couple observations/suggestions about what can be seen in the OP's underseat image.)

large.20230227_131239.jpg.c5de624f3c1834

I would be interested in your feedback docc,thanks.  I'll release the quintet tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

It is "possible" that this treatment of electrical tape is the same kind of treatment as cow magnets , clothespins ,  aluminum foil , etc. that was applied to fuel lines to carb. fuel systems to correct certain problems ! 

This is a long drawn out procedure but to remove each terminal and crimp the scroll ends of each terminal is the only way to go. Installing the BEST relay possible is the best way to help stop this trouble. The Caig Deoxit , Motorcraft electrical grease , etc. too . I don't go w/Vaseline because of the low melting point. 

Any electrical parts , go to an aircraft or marine supplier . Waytek is a  good vendor. 

• Like 2