Bike cranks but wont start

Flooky

Hi folks.

Stopped for fuel today after a ride, bike cranks but wont start.

I notice the fuel pump noise is not there. I have changed the relay and fuse, i am stumped now.

Any thought ?

Cheers

Lift the fuse block from its isolation mounts and be certain  the hidden spade connectors under fuses 1 and 2 are tight and functional.

(Also, cycle the Run Switch and the Ignition Switch a few times while trying to start.)

gallery_328_223_160743.jpeg

• Like 2

Appears the fuel pump if you're certain about the sound.  I'll share another story, happened to me when I hit the starter and forgot to prime it on a hot muggy day.

It only worked after I added some fuel.  Can't say if it was vacuum, weight of more gas, or just time to let the gas settle.  

12 hours ago, docc said:

Cool, @Flooky.

What relays are you using and which one did you change?

I have the omron relays ( after all the great advice here )

I changed the fuel pump one and the fuse . 

The 30amp fuse was a bit melted but still functional unrelated i think., changed that too.

( got a maxi fuse ready to fit.)

Battery on charge now so gonna have another go today.

If i remove the sidestand relay will that indicate its that or not ? ( sidestand switch )

• Like 1

I took the tank off, pulled apart the sidestand switch conector, pump worked !

Great

Put it all back together, no pump.

Apart again, checked pump connections, a bit loose but not terrible, cleaned and tightened them.

Bikes running now, but i think the pump is intermittent.

Any advice about a replacement ?

Thanks folks

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Flooky said:

I have the omron relays ( after all the great advice here )

I changed the fuel pump one and the fuse . The 30amp fuse was a bit melted but still functional unrelated i think., changed that too.( got a maxi fuse ready to fit.)Battery on charge now so gonna have another go today.

If i remove the sidestand relay will that indicate its that or not ? ( sidestand switch )

This is a really excellent question since the "Sidestand" Relay (middle relay/#3) is not actuated by the sidestand switch but, rather, by the Neutral Switch on the left side of the gearbox.  As it appears you got back running by addressing the Sidestand Switch connectors under the tank, that switch provides power to the Run Switch directly (no relay). 

I have long preferred to refer to Relay #3 as the "Neutral Relay" as it provides power to the Run Switch when the sidestand is down (and its switch is open). Check to see that your V11 will start/run in both conditions: 1) Sidestand down, powered through the "Neutral Relay," and 2) sidestand up with the bike in gear (clutch lever in) powered through the Sidestand Switch.

Stand by for a link to an alternative fuel pump (although your troubles are all more likely connectors and connections).

"If i remove the sidestand relay will that indicate its that or not ? ( sidestand switch )"

Short test to isolate Sidestand Switch versus Neutral Switch/Neutral Relay :

Attempt to start in neutral, sidestand down (observe that the Neutral Light is on, yet this does NOT verify the Neutral Relay is viable).

Next, attempt to start in gear, clutch lever in, with the sidestand up (power through the Sidestand Switch only (no relay).

Here is a source for an alternative fuel pump. Pretty sure it is branded under various names. FWIW, I bought one of these with suspicions that my fuel pump was playing up and, you might have guessed . . . it was relay trouble from a charging system failure. :luigi:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=2491

The Bullet Connectors for the Clutch switch are a very common V11 Start Failure, yet . . .

It is important to note that when the Bullet Connectors, or the Clutch Safety Switch fails, the bike does not crank, click, or make a peep. Push the starter button and: *nothing*. When this occurs, hold the clutch lever in with thumb firmly depressing the Starter Button and rotate the bars lock to lock. This "Wiggle Tests" the clutch switch connections and may cause the starter to engage: positive test that indicates the Bullet Connectors.

If a V11 cranks/clicks/snicks/buzzes/or whirs, but won't start, it is not the Clutch Switch or its connectors.

• Like 1

If you have the stuff or a buddy has the stuff , Weatherpack or Deutch connectors, these things are the answer to any / all connector issues .

Thanks folks, this a great forum.

Bike will now will start under all the above conditions, but i would like to find an issue so i can have confidence again, the fuel pump is buzzing away well, but i dont trust it.

I will source a new pump ( thanks docc ) but not sure thats it, do they fail interrmitantly ? ( spell ). Cant seem to find a reason it didnt work.

When i disconnected the sidestand and it worked i was happy, but then all back together , no pump.

I can only think connections on fuel pump. I think my rides will be near home for a while, but we got a great burger place 15 miles away so 👍

• Like 1