Bike cranks but wont start

Flooky

The likelihood that the trouble is with the connections, rather than a component like the fuel pump.

Definitely clean and Caig DeOxit every connection you can get your hands on.

• Like 1

That sounds like a connections issue or a relay issue. It does not sound like a bad fuel pump.

Not long after buying the wife's V11 years ago she stopped for gas and ran into the same issue. It was the relays.

If it does it again, test for power at the pump. My bet is the pump was not being sent power.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

That sounds like a connections issue or a relay issue. It does not sound like a bad fuel pump.

Not long after buying the wife's V11 years ago she stopped for gas and ran into the same issue. It was the relays.

If it does it again, test for power at the pump. My bet is the pump was not being sent power.

I carry spare relays under the seat, and i changed the pump one at the side of the road, didnt work.

Can relays be intermittent ? Cos i put the original back after it didnt appear to be the issue.( original being an omron not original original )

1 hour ago, Flooky said:

Can relays be intermittent ?

I have had an issue that I could only explain as an intermittent relay failure. Same deal as yours. Ran fine, shut it off, won't restart, sometime later it will start. Finally it shut down while riding. Swapped out #5 (Injectors?), fixed. I was not using Omron at the time. It's possible that moving the relays around *caused* a better connection. Recalling the sequence of failure, I'm sticking with intermittent failure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, footgoose said:

I have had an issue that I could only explain as an intermittent relay failure. Same deal as yours. Ran fine, shut it off, won't restart, sometime later it will start. Finally it shut down while riding. Swapped out #5 (Injectors?), fixed. I was not using Omron at the time. It's possible that moving the relays around *caused* a better connection. Recalling the sequence of failure, I'm sticking with intermittent failure.

I will try, new ones, thanks

Relays can be intermittent. And it isn't always just the relays, another possible issue is the connections to the relays.

When the fuel pump won't run, clearly the bike won't run. If the fuel pump won't run see if it has power or not. If it doesn't have power, the issue isn't the pump. If the fuel pump doesn't have power then it is likely either the relays or the connections to / from the relays.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:50 PM, Flooky said:

Can relays be intermittent ? ...

In my experience (nearly 40 years as a sound technician), any electrical circuit, and anything electronic, can have intermittent problems. :huh2:

• Like 1

You said you disconnected the sidestand switch. Was it left simply disconnected, or was a bypass connection added? 
If it works without the switch but fails with the switch in place that points to a bad switch. My '97 has no sidestand switch but even back in the 1980s when I was racing Japanese bikes, everyone removed the sidestands, but the remaining switches put a lot of guys on the side of the track so we eliminated them always. 
I haven't studied the circuit diagram so maybe I'm missing something but the switch itself is suspect.

• Like 1