Chuck's "Little Homebuilt"

18 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Congrats.  be careful 

The only people I know more careful than aircraft pilots are Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics . . .  :nerd::luigi:  B)

• Like 3
12 hours ago, docc said:

The only people I know more careful than aircraft pilots are Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics . . .  :nerd::luigi:  B)

Very few A&Ps actually fly. A pilot sits there fat, dumb, and happy thinking, "what could possibly go wrong?" :grin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's Wonderful to see that you do what you do. Inspiring for sure. I'm thinking about a project just like that. Is it considered an ultralight ?

SKIP 

18 hours ago, docc said:

30+ years working various aircraft logistics and parts & repair contracts, sorta puts me in a different mind set.  There are all kinds of variations and contraptions out there.  And all kinds of repair sources.  BTW- there isn't any "Yelp" in this system.  All certified repairs are treated alike: "certified".  Once in a while, certified parts aren't and then you have to find them.  Then there's the unexpected and new failure conditions.  

A common phrase, "build a doubler".  

In all due respect to GA, I'm not getting into some guy's plane, particularly if he's a doctor or an engineer.   I don't know any architects.  

I know Chuck and I think he's the best.  Don't for a minute think that I'm painting my broad brush on him or anyone else for that matter.  Heck, I thought I was competent rider and binned my California EV coming around a corner running over some plastic wrap.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Skip said:

It's Wonderful to see that you do what you do. Inspiring for sure. I'm thinking about a project just like that. Is it considered an ultralight ?

SKIP 

Thanks, and yes it is an ultralight. By definition, the FAA doesn't call it an airplane, so you can fly it without a license (ahem, not recommended) no taxes, no medical, no biannual flight reviews, no fooling with the state and federal authorities, etc. Just kick the tires, strap it on, and light the fires. :grin: You *do* have to know airspace regulations..wouldn't want to get ran down by a triple seven don'tcha know..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Super cool Chuck...nice to see you can test it right in your own backyard, very convenient indeed!!

Just curious...how noisy is it sitting there in the cockpit (is that the right term to use for a non official airplane.  Are earplugs required or any other special gear?

What kind of altitude do you plan on flying this toy up to or is it just to go get coffee one town over or truly fly long distances?

I'm totally unfamiliar with these types of setups...so apologies if these are simpleton questions!

19 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

or is it just to go get coffee one town over...

I'm quite convinced it is intended as an alternative to the helicopter to get to the yacht. Probably uses heaps less fuel... :grin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1