Chuck's "Little Homebuilt"

15 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I'm quite convinced it is intended as an alternative to the helicopter to get to the yacht. Probably uses heaps less fuel... :grin:

Ah, the trappings of selling trinkets to V11ers, always harping, "This is the latest last batch! " :oldgit:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, docc said:

The only people I know more careful than aircraft pilots are Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics . . .  :nerd::luigi:  B)

In my work (heavy eq. mechanic) I have tried to tell the higher ups , there are helicopter pilots and there are helicopter mechanics . You are one or the other PERIOD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, gstallons said:

In my work (heavy eq. mechanic) I have tried to tell the higher ups , there are helicopter pilots and there are helicopter mechanics . You are one or the other PERIOD 

True enough. Generally, there are flyers and there are fixers. :)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Super cool Chuck...nice to see you can test it right in your own backyard, very convenient indeed!!

Just curious...how noisy is it sitting there in the cockpit (is that the right term to use for a non official airplane.  Are earplugs required or any other special gear?

What kind of altitude do you plan on flying this toy up to or is it just to go get coffee one town over or truly fly long distances?

I'm totally unfamiliar with these types of setups...so apologies if these are simpleton questions!

Etsa notta noise, etsa sound. :) It *is* a radial engine after all. A fair amount of wind noise. Probably will need ear plugs, although my sweetie has ordered me a Lindbergh era leather aviator's cap. We'll see.. but no armored jacket, boots, gloves, etc. for this "flying motorcycle." Sure, it's a cockpit. I wonder where that term came from?? :huh2:

Altitude? Dunno.. whatever seems natural. There's no altimeter, but probably 400 to 1000 feet.

Another regulation is no larger than a 5 gallon tank, so it's not for going places although you could, I suppose. They are also supposed to only be able to fly 55 knots wide open, and fuel burn is a little over 2 gallons per hour. It is just a toy with no real use except for the joy of "operating the machine" and maybe looking over the local crops, watching sunrises and sunsets, etc. without worrying about that bluehair in the Buick or brain dead texter that are tryin to kill me on my motorcycle. :grin:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, Chuck said:

Thanks, and yes it is an ultralight. By definition, the FAA doesn't call it an airplane, so you can fly it without a license (ahem, not recommended) no taxes, no medical, no biannual flight reviews, no fooling with the state and federal authorities, etc. Just kick the tires, strap it on, and light the fires. :grin: You *do* have to know airspace regulations..wouldn't want to get ran down by a triple seven don'tcha know..

Really love the sound of that tri-radial, exultant choice, so much nicer than a 2-stroke Rotax. One could say it has a proper sound to it, very easy on the ears. not all that high pitch wine. Looks like it will be a true delight to get it up in the air for an hour and get the feel for it, Lucky Man !

SKIP