The V11 Sport/Lemans is now considered a "Historic Model"

al_roethlisberger

The V11 Sport/Lemans is now apparently considered a "Historic Model"

... well, according to Wikipedia at least ;)

I guess that is fair, since the oldest V11 Sport is now 26 years old if it were built in 1997 for the 1998 model year.  Even the newest model in 2004 would be 19 years old.  Hard to believe, but how time flies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Moto_Guzzi_motorcycles

And the link from the main article takes one to the French entry for the V11.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V11

(Here is a link translated to English via Google:  https://fr-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V11?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp )

And so, we have the following review, covering what is now considered an "Italian Classic".  It is interesting watching this younger fellow describe the V11 in terms of a vintage motorcycle, especially commenting on how he's never ridden a motorcycle without features like traction control and ABS.  In contrast, I've never ridden a motorcycle with those features!  :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As an aside, it is interesting to hear this younger rider comment about his considerations coming into turns and downshifting with a lack of traction control and ABS.  

While that is absolutely true, and always has been long before TC and ABS were even available technologies, it does make me wonder how spoiled modern riders are with these technologies, and if their riding skills are now such that they would be really disadvantaged and more at risk on an older bike without these technologies than an older rider who grew up without.

Conversely, I wonder if older riders would ride "slower" in some cases with or without those technologies present, because they grew up riding a little more conservatively without those automated safety nets?

• Like 3

I prefer “Classic” as a defining moniker rather than “Historic”. It implies a sense of (well..) class and high style opposed to the later that conjures visions of a forlorn ancient past and cobwebs.

As for modern amenities on motorbikes, my V11S stablemate, 10 years younger sibling Griso(the Mutant), still has no ABS, no TC, no ride-by-wire and algorithmic riding modes..

Those are Classic bikes built for real classic men(read old) and as we all know, real men don’t need no stinking “riders aid”.

And before you jump on a 160+hp crotch rocket and rely on electronics to keep you on the road, go learn how to ride a motorcycle... Isn’t that how we all did it?!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Conversely, I wonder if older riders would ride "slower" in some cases with or without those technologies present, because they grew up riding a little more conservatively without those automated safety nets?

Probably in part, but most certainly also because as you get to grow into your classic age, your physical and cognitive abilities are not quite the same as your younger self and that sense of invincibility you used to carry as a shield as eroded to where your heightened awareness of the breaking point might come a little sooner...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The bloke said something like "your really have to know how to ride this bike". That's one of the main reason I bought one. :)

He seems to have recognised the qualities of the V11, but he seems to me to be a bit of an idiot too. Or maybe I've just lost touch with the younger generation. :grin:

It’s hard to criticize the younger generation for doing things differently than we did. Every generation does things differently than the previous one, I know I certainly had a different upbringing than my parents did. Better technology with more accessibility, different times.

I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s, we didn’t even have a telephone in the house until I was 14, same year I graduated from a bicycle to a moped... guess where I spent most of my free time (hint: it wasn’t on the phone). At 16 I was able to buy myself a brand new 125cc with the proceeds of a couple of summers jobs.

And so we went from 49cc at 14yo to 125cc at 16yo to 500cc and beyond a couple of years later. Young formative years to learn the subtleties of riding at speed on two wheels. Despite all that, there would always be some amongst our peers that faced a steeper learning curve, overestimating their abilities and crashing way too often. Most of them didn’t make lifelong riders... natural selection I guess. But it’s also possible it could have been a different experience had they had access to today’s electronic aids.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

I prefer “Classic” as a defining moniker rather than “Historic”. It implies a sense of (well..) class and high style opposed to the later that conjures visions of a forlorn ancient past and cobwebs.

As for modern amenities on motorbikes, my V11S stablemate, 10 years younger sibling Griso(the Mutant), still has no ABS, no TC, no ride-by-wire and algorithmic riding modes..

Those are Classic bikes built for real classic men(read old) and as we all know, real men don’t need no stinking “riders aid”.

And before you jump on a 160+hp crotch rocket and rely on electronics to keep you on the road, go learn how to ride a motorcycle... Isn’t that how we all did it?!

That's the way Brother.............:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1