Five pin relays

Flooky

You can and just for safety's sake put 5 pin relays in all positions . The one 5 pin relay in your bike now acts as a load shedding relay. This removes all unnecessary power so all the current can go to start the bike.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Flooky said:

Great, thanks

@Flooky, looks like this Picker Components High Current relay is the best available, according to our "Best Relay" thread.  I wonder if you have a UK source for them?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/picker-components/PC782-1C-12S-R-X/12352866

Data Sheet

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Ok, I'm late to the relay party.  Last May I replaced my oem Omrons with CIT  A11CSQ12VDC1.5R ($2.50/ea).  Now, the general concensus is the Picker PC782-1C-12S-R-X are the relays to have as oem Omrom replacements.  Am I understanding this correctly?  If so, I'll go buy a batch before I get into more trouble.

As always, thanks for the help & advice,

Art

The CIT are probably just fine, especially for later V11 wiring (2002-2005).

The Picker Components relay is particularly interesting for the #1 position in the early (1999-2001) Sport and Rosso Mandello that feeds all of the power through that N.C. contact on to Relay #2 (headlight etc.). This is the only micro relay I have seen with a 25 amp N.C. contact rating.

Notably, OMRON were never OEM on the V11. Pretty sure those were Siemens throughout the V11 production. If your OMRON are G8HE, I would leave that 35 amp N.O. contact in Position #5 (fuel/ignition).

[For that matter, just leave the G8HE in all the positions and stow the CIT for spares.]

• Thanks 1

Hi Docc,

Ok, I goofed...my original relays were Siemens A1001-A402, not Omrons.  You indicated the CIT's were ok for use in the '02-'05 so, I'm thinking I'll leave the CIT's in place because the Siemens relays are 20+ years old.  While the Siemens relays have not seen alot of action, my Lemans only has 12K miles on it, I'd hate to have an age related failure.  Thoughts?

Also, fwiw, my headlight & starter solenoid are on dedicated relay circuits now. 

Thanks,

Art

• Thanks 1

Just give the Siemens relays the flotation test, Art. They were known to fail in the 98 EVs when they were new.

Age related failures? I gots em..:rasta: "If it don't hurt, it don't work.."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Regarding testing relays, a bloke in the German forum posted a link for a tester on e-Bay. I think it was this one. The price is not too steep, and if it does what it claims to, it might be a good bit of kit to have. I haven't got one (yet), so I can't say if it is any good or not. :huh2:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803502236070.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

• Like 1

Audiomick ....That's pretty cool & cheap!  I'd still try swapping relays no matter what the test results because I have no self control or faith in gadgets (lol).  However, I have to admit I bought a $25 digital battery/charging sys/starter tester that I'm pretty impressed with .... it was an ebay or amazon buy.

Chuck... The Siemens relays will float, I packed them in a baggie in case one of my Guzzi riding buds has a failure on the road!

Art

• Like 1