Bugger

guzzler

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

I read something once, that warming up is not so necessary. If one takes it easy for the first 10 minutes or so, that is enough. And it saves fuel, which is better for your wallet and better for the environment. The Japanese bikes I have had all played along very well, and the V11 seems to be ok with that too. My V35 Imola is a different story. It has a phase between "choke is ok" and "I'm warm enough now" in which it is inclined to stop running if I don't keep it revving. In summer it is not much of a problem, but in winter when the temperatur is down around 3°C (yes, I do ride it sometimes in those conditions...) it can be a bit critical. Letting it warm up for a couple of minutes is not a bad thing. :huh2:

If I were prepared to invest some money in the carbs, I might be able to sort that out too, but I have most of the parts and the notion to put together a 350 4-valve motor, which would need bigger carbs, so I'm living with that for the time being. :)

Thanks mate

I'll experiment with this and see how it goes.

I've a feeling she'll still want a good warm up when it's 5C ish though.

My greenie sounds a wee bit like your V35 in letting me know when she's ready to boogie ha ha. But I've got a much better map in her now though so we'll see.

Cheers 

Ps I've called it quits on riding under 5 C unless caught out and then bloody hell I can feel every degree under that...!

9 hours ago, guzzler said:

I've called it quits on riding under 5 C...

Yes, that's about my comfortable limit, too.

I'll probably ride the V35 Imola to work later. It's around 6°C now, but looking at maybe -2° C by the time I come home (between 10 and 11 p.m.). Good thing it is only about 5 km. .:whistle:

Even with a heated jacket, this is my chosen limit (5ºC/40ºF).  Not because I can't get comfortable, but more that I don't think the tires get the memo to also relax and get to work. :o

After two of my (expert riding) buddies had traction loss crashes in near-freezing temps, I realized my Swedish car would light an ice warning at 38ºF/~3ºC. I figured the Swedes know quite a lot more about ice on the roads than I do and adopted the new limit for riding safety.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

so does my Corvette.....maybe 34 degrees.

See? Corvettes are meant for sliding sideways. Volvo and V11? Not so much . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

G'day folk's

Well she fired right up and we danced our way into work on Thursday morning!

And home through the fun twisty bits on the way home too.

No issues whatsoever and back to her normal self-Yay!

I did try the shorter warm up both am and pm and yeah no dramas either.I don't think she'd be happy to fire up and ride straight away though but I'm gunna stick with this 1 to 2  minute warm up for a bit.

Cheers

Ps My issue with cold weather riding is my hands! My gloves are good down to 5 deg's just, but under that and it gets painful real quick...

My commute when I do it is 75 kays ( one way ) and 80% highway so plenty of time for it to be an issue.I can put thermals on and my body is good but I did get caught at -3 once and hands were agony and body was feeling it too.I also think I had the start of hyperthermia when I got in and it took till nearly 11am to come good! Too old for that crap now and had enough of it as a kid on dirt bikes back in NZ in winter. Plus don't wanna know about Black Ice any more, something else best left to youth and stupidity! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, guzzler said:

...My issue with cold weather riding is my hands!

Tell me about it. I had a prang a couple of years back (destroyed a GTR 1000 when someone turned across in front of me...) and broke my right index finger. I think a bit of the car's side mirror went through the finger and smashed the middle section into about 5 pieces. The circulation in the finger is now very poor. If it is too cold, it hurts immediately and a lot. Bugger....:(

• Sad 2

Back when I was a kid of 60 or so, I still rode during the Winter with heated gear. In my dotage, I've decided I'll never do that again.. but.. I put a 12V receptacle in my little home built aeroplane just in case.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Heh he 

Bloody hell Chuck,at 63 it's been a while since I were a boy....

Hope like hell I'm still riding in years to come though!

I dips me lid to you mate!

Cheers 

• Like 2