Broken Torque Rod Bolt

LowRyter

2 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Per AF1:

1 hour ago, docc said:

Sounds like "Italy."

Gonna be interesting to see who gets theirs first . . .

7 minutes ago, docc said:

Gonna be interesting to see who gets theirs first . . .

KaleV11, who purchased @ Ace Hardware. 

• Haha 2

So is there any reason why 60mm would be an issue?  Did I read that someone actually took 1mm off?   .04 in  doesn't seem like that big of deal.

I thought someone said that Curtis was making up a "kit" with bolt + nut & washer?

No, I still don't have my bike.  Since Don dropped it, he's ordered a matching clutch lever to go with the replaced brake lever.  

45 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

So is there any reason why 60mm would be an issue?  Did I read that someone actually took 1mm off?   .04 in  doesn't seem like that big of deal.

I thought someone said that Curtis was making up a "kit" with bolt + nut & washer?

No, I still don't have my bike.  Since Don dropped it, he's ordered a matching clutch lever to go with the replaced brake lever.  

Looks to me like there is an extra 1mm to clear a 60mm bolt. The greater issues are down to the "shank" length, the tightening torque, whether to use both a spacer and a washer, and perhaps most of all: what will be the corrosion resistance method?

Curtis Harper has those bolts on order ("from North America"). He suggested to me to make up a kit, but I declined. Washers and nuts are easy to come by and most of us should still have our "spacer" (thick washer) to install on the new bolt.

• Like 1

Today I pulled my rear bevel drive or rear transmission as it may be called for a inspection and PM. Even though my front bolt had broken in the torque rod, I found my rear bolt to look like a new one, no wear and nice and clean. 

D0473C35-EB92-497A-A549-920C7EA405AF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

I think that anything is better than dry assembly if the bike ever gets wet. Jointing compound, anti-seize, or grease, are all good.

I have the problem of South Florida- heat cycles, intense sun, humidity and rain. I've taken to using aerosol Cosmoline on everything that needs preservation without lubrication. 

https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-rp-342-heavy-spray-military-grade-rust-preventive/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I thought it might be helpful to post this reference image of the bolt in question as it looks from the right side of the bike, looking forward, to the inside of the Frame Side Plate . . .

DSCN4769.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

New bolt(s) arrived from Harpermoto today (4 weeks).

Screw, 10mmx59mm 01357731 

They are 10.9 hardness and all very nicely cadmium plated.

I continue to suspect this is largely about corrosion protection at that vulnerable location. Very much like the potential shock eye breakage reported at the nearby shock pivot bolt that suffers from similar neglect and corrosion.

@Curtis Harper has a few of these on hand. And I'll be sporting a few in the Tekno pannier as SpineRaid party favors . . . :luigi:

• Like 5

On to the nut search. McMaster-Carr does not show a Grade 10.9 Nylon insert, cadmium plated, but shows these:

"Black corrosion-resistant-coated steel nuts are more corrosion resistant in wet environments than zinc-plated steel nuts. They're also known as black luster nuts."

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/nuts/metric-high-strength-steel-nylon-insert-locknuts-class-10/

Badass washers, to match:

https://www.mcmaster.com/93413A170/

34 minutes ago, docc said:

McMaster-Carr does not show a Grade 10.9 Nylon insert, cadmium plated,

Maybe because of this:

Cadmium plating is under scrutiny because of the environmental toxicity of the cadmium metal. Cadmium plating is widely used in some applications in the aerospace, military, and aviation fields. However, it is being phased out due to its toxicity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plating#Cadmium_plating :huh2:

The link to the "Black corrosion-resistant-coated steel nuts"  seems to be loopy. It sends me to a page listing lots of different grease products.

2 minutes ago, audiomick said:

The link to the "Black corrosion-resistant-coated steel nuts"  seems to be loopy. It sends me to a page listing lots of different grease products.

Thanks for the heads-up. Fixed.