Technical Question about posting short stories formated in the forum;

p6x

Can you directly post an "epub" formatted short story in a thread? no pictures. just words?

I want to embed, not just put a link to be clicked.

It needs to be epub formatted, so it will correctly display on screen sizes.

I'm not familiar with the "epub" format,but I do snag and compile a lot of info from a wide variety of sources.

My experience has been to avoid conflicts,formatting issues etc the most fool proof method for me,is always to copy it into a straight "text" file format ie.notepad etc,then copy it over into whatever system I'm on.

Copying info into a text file first kills all the hidden formatting,template,hyperlink issues etc

Will that work and be of benefit for what you're trying to do,idk.

fwiw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, p6x said:

Can you directly post an "epub" formatted short story in a thread? no pictures. just words?

I want to embed, not just put a link to be clicked.

It needs to be epub formatted, so it will correctly display on screen sizes.

Have you tried it already?

28 minutes ago, motortouring said:

Have you tried it already?

it makes sense, doesn't it?

I do not know which HTML version is supported here. I could spend a long time fiddling with less than optimal results.

The application I use does not directly export in epub format. Only PDF. I will need to install Calibre and Sigil to convert. But if it does not work, I will simply add clutter to my computer.

I am awaiting to see if AdminJAAP can confirm or infirm.

• Like 1

EPUB is an e-book file format that uses the ".epub" file extension. 

It would be helpful to know what application you use, most e-books apps will allow you to highlight and copy their text to the clipboard. I'm assuming you have already tried to just copy/paste your text in the reply box, and it doesn't come out formatted as the original?

When you paste a formatted text in the reply box, an option menu pops-up asking if you want to keep the formatted text as "rich text" or paste it as "plain text" instead. Have you tried that?

2 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

EPUB is an e-book file format that uses the ".epub" file extension. 

It would be helpful to know what application you use, most e-books apps will allow you to highlight and copy their text to the clipboard. I'm assuming you have already tried to just copy/paste your text in the reply box, and it doesn't come out formatted as the original?

When you paste a formatted text in the reply box, an option menu pops-up asking if you want to keep the formatted text as "rich text" or paste it as "plain text" instead. Have you tried that?

Epub format allows readers to consume the content with any screen size, thus always formatted to fit the media used. Unlike other formats.

This is is why I would prefer to use epub.

The short story would be written on Affinity Publisher. You cannot embed PDF flies in this forum.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, p6x said:

it makes sense, doesn't it?

I do not know which HTML version is supported here. I could spend a long time fiddling with less than optimal results.

The application I use does not directly export in epub format. Only PDF. I will need to install Calibre and Sigil to convert. But if it does not work, I will simply add clutter to my computer.

I am awaiting to see if AdminJAAP can confirm or infirm.

I have no experience whatsoever with epub files. Making it uploadable shouldnt be a problem, but embedding is a different matter. Another one to look into 🤪

5 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

I have no experience whatsoever with epub files. Making it uploadable shouldnt be a problem, but embedding is a different matter. Another one to look into 🤪

Thanks;

The (loose) objective would be to make a self-contained condensed manual, or whatever we want to call it with photos and best practices. To make it easier to find information in a single document, rather than having to sift through many posts. Those would be updated as required, and elaborated collaboratively.

We could do this already using PDF documents saved externally and linked to the forum. But not as easy to access.

Maybe I'm thinking too easy, but isn't a regular pinned topic in the HowTo section not the way to go? The forum search function has enough filters.
Or just upload the PDF files in a topic and cram the topic itself with keyphrases for easy finding?
Maintenance can be done by the topic starter.