Fuel range and the warning light.

audiomick

9 hours ago, billgreenman1 said:

I've been told that it is "bad" to run a fuel injection car or bike out of gas... when I did a tank-off maintenance I ran the pump a few times before hitting the starter; is this an old wives' tale?

Fuel pumps are cooled by fuel, so running them without fuel frequently is not great, certainly for an extended period.  But one doesn't need to run them long after the fuel runs out.

Fuel pumps are surely designed to survive running without fuel flow for a reasonable amount of time, such as when people run out of gas, otherwise we would see huge failure rates of pumps.

Note:  I am neither a fuel pump engineer nor manufacturer, so that is my opinion and understanding.  ;)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

As mentioned earlier though, for a given rider and motorcycle, the only real way to know is to test with a small spare can of fuel, note when the light comes on, and run it out.  Do this several times and one may get a good idea of the average for their bike and riding style.

I remember doing this a few times with my FJ1200

True, but there is a factor you need to include;

I drive (most of the time) very conservatively. I change gear "at torque" (I don't know if that means anything in English, since it is a literal translation of "passer les vitesses au couple).

On highways, I am generally well above 40 mpg or around 40.

In the city, I am around 38 mpg.

But if I drive less conservatively, in the city, I do get to 32 mpg too.

If I remember correctly, the "reserve" light is activated when the sensor is no longer fully immersed in gas. So it is not a very accurate, precise indication of the exact volume of fuel remaining.

We all have agreed that 150 miles is when you should be looking for a refill.

Since I abode to this precept rigorously I have almost never felt anxious, if excepted in West Texas, after leaving I-10, some gas pumps can be spaced more than 100 miles. Same in New Mexico. 150 miles is sometimes scarce.

• Like 1

It's a thermistor, so the less it is covered (and cooled) by fuel the brighter the lamp glows. There *is* a delay built in somehow so it doesn't flash off and on like the early float switches.

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, billgreenman1 said:

I've been told that it is "bad" to run a fuel injection car or bike out of gas...  is this an old wives' tale?

When I was a kid (in the '70s) I was told that if you run the tractor out of diesel, you have to bleed the injectors to get the air out. I don't believe this is (even with tractors...) the case any more, but maybe that was the origon of the advice. :huh2:

3 hours ago, p6x said:

.. after leaving I-10, some gas pumps can be spaced more than 100 miles. Same in New Mexico. 150 miles is sometimes scarce.

Completely off topic, this, but it is almost related. ;)

My older brother did a round trip around Australia about 40 years ago. He told me of a road on the West Australian coast on which there was only one petrol station in the middle of an 800 km. stretch.

By that I don't only mean there was no other petrol stations. There were no other buildings either, just countryside. B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

It's a thermistor, so the less it is covered (and cooled) by fuel the brighter the lamp glows. There *is* a delay built in somehow so it doesn't flash off and on like the early float switches.

I did experience the on/off issue though. Including on a highway when not perfectly leveled. Light came on, and then went off.

Also, depending on the sun position, I have missed spotting the amber glow a few times. This is why I stick to my odometer for refuels.

• Like 1

I also find that mine will glow ever so faintly to start then go off and fade in and out till it finally stays on...

At 250 kays she starts winking at me and I start looking for a gas station!

I go off the odometer and know when I'll need gas anyways so no big deal.

Cheers 

Ps I ran out outa gas ONCE many moons ago!

The GPZ 900 spluttered just as I got onto the Kew Bvd ( only a few kays from Girlfriends house ) .No dramas thinks I as I reach for the tap to switch to reserve,but then blood runs cold as I realise I'd been on reserve already for some time....

Girlfriend ( on the back ) not impressed as we're completely out of gas!

I wouldn't leave the bike so no choice but to push.Now the Kew Bvd is up and down and the GPZ was about same weight as our V11's so this is an exercise I have never forgotten these some 36 or so years later!! ( I was a hell of a lot fitter and stronger in those days )

This wee escapade started about 9.30pm and ended when we got to her place about 2am and collapsed into bed.

Just for some salt in the wound after getting gas the next day and re-filling, the bike wouldn't have a bar of starting.After some time I checked fuses and sure enough she'd blown one and fired into life after replacing it! 

Needless to say, I pay particular attention to how much fuel I have in the tank these days....!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, guzzler said:

The GPZ 900 spluttered just as I got onto the Kew Bvd ...

Obviously taking the shortest, most direct way home... :whistle:

For those not in the know, on the map the street is called "Yarra Boulevard".

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-37.7969/145.0180

I used to like going home that way too. Out of the city area on Johnston street onto the Boulevard, back off onto the Chandler Hiighway and out along Hiedelberg Road to Macleod. Shortest, most direct route and all that... :grin:

Bugger of a place to run out of fuel...:(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, guzzler said:

At 250 kays she starts winking at me and I start looking for a gas station!

You are brave! even using Ethanol free gas, 250 miles seem to be out of my reach...

I would not like to run out of gas in Australia, especially in the back country!

33 minutes ago, p6x said:

You are brave! even using Ethanol free gas, 250 miles seem to be out of my reach...

I would not like to run out of gas in Australia, especially in the back country!

That was 250 Kays, which I take as 250 Kilometers. Or in American, 156 miles. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GuzziMoto said:

That was 250 Kays, which I take as 250 Kilometers. Or in American, 156 miles. 

Good catch! to me Kays, sounding like Keys in my mind meant kilograms. I did not immediately compute...

The greatest distance I dared going so far was 226 miles; not because I was pushing it, but I did not find any gas station before.

Flirting with maximum usable range reminds me to point out the "tip-slosh" method of splashing a bit of the fuel trapped on the right side of the tank over into the left with the fuel tap.

This is a strenuous, roadside maneuver having sputtered out of fuel. Standing beside the left side of the bike, it is leaned as far left as strength will allow and then "dipped" abruptly to slosh fuel over to the left. Because the closed loop returns unused fuel to the right side fuel trap, I typically then ride like my hair is on fire toward the nearest fuel station

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My warning lamp begins dim, then over the course of 5-15 miles goes on and off with brake usage, then stays on. 

Unfortunately it stays lit at 1/2 tank. :( Since I have the tiny tank, that's about 100 miles. Worth mentioning here that since my Joe's cam gears and new plug caps I'm pushing 50mpg. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:03 AM, docc said:

Flirting with maximum usable range reminds me to point out the "tip-slosh" method of splashing a bit of the fuel trapped on the right side of the tank over into the left with the fuel tap.

This is a strenuous, roadside maneuver having sputtered out of fuel. Standing beside the left side of the bike, it is leaned as far left as strength will allow and then "dipped" abruptly to slosh fuel over to the left. Because the closed loop returns unused fuel to the right side fuel trap, I typically then ride like my hair is on fire toward the nearest fuel station

Thanks Doc

I hope to NEVER have to resort to this....!

Cheers

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:33 PM, audiomick said:

Obviously taking the shortest, most direct way home... :whistle:

For those not in the know, on the map the street is called "Yarra Boulevard".

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-37.7969/145.0180

I used to like going home that way too. Out of the city area on Johnston street onto the Boulevard, back off onto the Chandler Hiighway and out along Hiedelberg Road to Macleod. Shortest, most direct route and all that... :grin:

Bugger of a place to run out of fuel...:(

Ha ha Indeed mate.

Any thoughts of romance were not entertained for some time after this wee escapade....!

Yep it was a BUGGER of a place to run dry!

Cheers 

On 3/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, docc said:

On my last ride , I was about 20 mi. away when my bike started to run bad and die . I KNEW it had plenty of fuel until I removed the fuel cap to find a blend of vapors and air w/just a little fuel . I got real good at stopping and leaning over about 4 Xs before reaching home base . Trust me , if it acts like it is running out of fuel , it IS running out of fuel.

• Like 5