Persnickety Turn Signal Switch

Purloined

It is very difficult to engage the turn signals, the slider l/r is resistant to sliding in either direction. It feels like it is hanging up mechanically. Even a slight downward pressure makes it almost impossible to activate. Cancelling it is not a problem. Wearing gloves exacerbates the problem.  Is this typical? Is it possible to disassemble it and renovate it to make it slide smoothly?

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Likely just needs cleaned, lubricated.

Open the clam-shell case and spray it out with something like CRG Electronics Cleaner® (catching all the overspray and drizzle with a rag. Watch yer eyes!).

Then treat the switches to a dose of Caig DeOxit®, working the switches as you go. One of their products contains a lubricant (maybe the "Gold").

You know, I seem to remember spraying that switch from the outside, without taking the "clam-shell" apart (inserting the typical spray tube) and getting the turn signal switch to work better.

Did mine, again, just now. Caig DeOxit is magical.

12 hours ago, docc said:

Likely just needs cleaned, lubricated.

Open the clam-shell case and spray it out with something like CRG Electronics Cleaner® (catching all the overspray and drizzle with a rag. Watch yer eyes!).

Then treat the switches to a dose of Caig DeOxit®, working the switches as you go. One of their products contains a lubricant (maybe the "Gold").

Docc:

you gift wisdom about the most intricate details of these bikes.   And it don't seem like you're breaking a sweat floating your salve to the surface, not that sweat matters.    Long practicing surgeons must also come to know every detail of those in their care. 

I've appreciated your generous contributions in what goes on here. 

+Several Honda 500's have been offered on bring a trailer. One just posted last week. Good to see them out and about.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am shocked to find out there are still people using their turn indicators; maybe only in Connecticut then?

My experience is that it seems to be superfluous for most drivers, nowadays....:huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, it is true of some of us olds here in Connecticut. We've been schooled by the migratory Official Geriatric Driving School Manual of Florida; Chapter 4: engage your turn signal (left or right side, it does not matter) when you leave the house in the morning. The gentle clicking sound is a soothing balm that will counter the annoying bleat of the chorus of horns that for no reason follow you to the smorgasbord restaurant.

Doubly true on a motorcycle where this built-in 'keep 'em guessing' feature is not interfered with by an infuriating tendency for self-cancelling. The devil is a vigilant little bitch.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The newest cars have a feature that vibrates and firms the steering wheel if you attempt to change lane when the adjacent lane is not clear and you omitted to check your mirrors, or the other vehicle is in your blind spot.

When I took my car driving test, forgetting to use your turn indicator only once implied a retest.

Here in Texas, I understand why drivers don't use it; If you indicate your intention to change lane, the driver in the destination lane will accelerate to close the gap in order to impede the maneuver. It makes sense to hide your intentions to prevent any negative reaction.

I had once a driver on my left, who was in the "continue straight" lane, rolling down his window to politely ask if I could let him pass in front of me, in the right turn only lane. I answered you just had to put on your turn indicator, and I would have let you. His answer was: oh! I see; you are not from Texas then....

• Like 1