v11 le mans europe gearbox

igor

On 3/22/2023 at 5:24 PM, al_roethlisberger said:

This is interesting as it is the second time in about a week that someone from Europe has mentioned having a "2001 Lemans", perhaps the same owner?

The V11 Sport was introduced in 1999, and the V11 Lemans was introduced as a 2002 model.

So I wonder a few things:

1)  Is this owner's V11 Lemans actually a 2001 or 2002?  That can be verified by the VIN information above.

2)  If this is actually a 2001 bike, did MG release the/some 2002 models earlier in 2001 in Europe?

3)  Is this actually a 2002 model, but was mis-registered as a 2001?  That happens sometimes.

The VIN will clarify.

And yes, all V11 Sport models, including the Lemans, are 6 speed transmissions.

FWIW, I bought my LM in 2002 (red/grey), but when I received it in spring 2002, the new model LM with the smooth engine finish was already in the showroom

• Thanks 2

On 3/23/2023 at 5:52 PM, docc said:

That should be fine. Does the fluid level appear in the sight glass on the right side of the gear box when the bike is sitting upright?

yes the fluid level is fine .

On 3/23/2023 at 5:09 PM, docc said:

It occurs to me that changing your shifting method and, perhaps, just fresh gear box oil might be the simplest solution . . . :mg:  :race:

hello docc , iwas wondering to adjust the shift lever .

i manage to loose the bolt on the right side , should i take off the plastic cap on the left side to able to reach the second bolt ?

thanks

4 hours ago, igor said:

hello docc , iwas wondering to adjust the shift lever .

i manage to loose the bolt on the right side , should i take off the plastic cap on the left side to able to reach the second bolt ?

thanks

Hi, @igor! I am not sure what you mean by the "plastic cap" and "second bolt."

Here is a view of the mechanism looking from the middle of the bike outward with the swingarm removed (for reference, only).

IMG_2743.JPG

Notice the lock nut on the pivot blot. This must be removed to unscrew the pivot bolt from the frame tab to clean and grease. See, also, the connecting rod and its Heim/ "rose" joints. These should be inspected, lubricated and tight, including the lock nuts on the rod. Adjust the rod length to get the extension arm of the foot lever and the arm on the gearbox input shaft parallel. This is best achieved with the starter off. (Remove the battery negative cable first!)

image.png

Make sure the arm on the gearbox is also pinched tight. The position of this arm (above on the left, behind the starter) and the length of the connecting rod can be adjusted to ensure the foot lever and entire mechanism swings freely up and down, in every gear, without striking the frame side plate or fouling the backside of the starter.

The pivot bolt is screwed into the frame tab tightly enough to allow movement, but limit too much play. The pivot bolt lock nut is then used to fix the pivot bolt in that ideal position. I found that a small "shim" between the foot lever and frame tab helped:

DSCN3926.jpg

Once fully assembled, with the starter in place, check again that the entire mechanism moves freely in every gear without fouling anywhere in the up- and down-swings. :luigi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

waow that seems a lot of work to adjust the shifter . remove the swingarm ?

i was speaking about the nut bolt closest to the gear box

on the second picture you see the end of the rod hidden behind a roundish cap

sorry not very use to moto guzzi and mechanics .

thanks

No need to take of svingarm, Doc said for reference only.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1

No need to take the swingarm off. That image is just for reference as you can see the entire mechanism from that angle.

Removing the starter is helpful, though.

I see what you are referring to, now. The "cap nut" is an eccentric adjuster and should only be set with the shift plate on the bench. Best not to mess with it.

The rubber cap covers the Neutral Switch connector.

3 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

I am still very interested to see the VIN on this bike to clarify if it is a 2001 or 2002 ;)

ZGUKS00001M211555

2 minutes ago, igor said:

ZGUKS00001M211555

2001 it is! :thumbsup:

That is really interesting! 

Do you mind posting a photo of two of the bike at some point so we can see if MG was delivering anything different or special with a 2001 Lemans?

53 minutes ago, docc said:

No need to take the swingarm off. That image is just for reference as you can see the entire mechanism from that angle.

Removing the starter is helpful, though.

I see what you are referring to, now. The "cap nut" is an eccentric adjuster and should only be set with the shift plate on the bench. Best not to mess with it.

The rubber cap covers the Neutral Switch connector.

can it not be adjusted by removing the starter , making the 2 nuts left and right of the little arm loose and turning the rod/arm in one direction or the other to move the gear pedal up or down ?

thanks

Hi Igor.

Just for your information, to avoid possible confusion: The green lever visible in docc's first picure is not standard. It is one of these:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/19580-lucky-phil-extender-mod/

I believe the silver coloured lever in the second picture is the standard part.

3 hours ago, docc said:

Here is a view of the mechanism looking from the middle of the bike outward with the swingarm removed (for reference, only).

IMG_2743.JPG

image.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, docc said:

Hi, @igor! I am not sure what you mean by the "plastic cap" and "second bolt."

IMG_2743.JPG

Notice the lock nut on the pivot blot. This must be removed to unscrew the pivot bolt from the frame tab to clean and grease. See, also, the connecting rod and its Heim/ "rose" joints. These should be inspected, lubricated and tight, including the lock nuts on the rod. Adjust the rod length to get the extension arm of the foot lever and the arm on the gearbox input shaft parallel. This is best achieved with the starter off. (Remove the battery negative cable first!)

image.png

Make sure the arm on the gearbox is also pinched tight. The position of this arm (above on the left, behind the starter) and the length of the connecting rod can be adjusted to ensure the foot lever and entire mechanism swings freely up and down, in every gear, without striking the frame side plate or fouling the backside of the starter.

The pivot bolt is screwed into the frame tab tightly enough to allow movement, but limit too much play. The pivot bolt lock nut is then used to fix the pivot bolt in that ideal position. I found that a small "shim" between the foot lever and frame tab helped:

DSCN3926.jpg

Once fully assembled, with the starter in place, check again that the entire mechanism moves freely in every gear without fouling anywhere in the up- and down-swings. :luigi:

Hi Docc

I think i start to understand , tell me if i'm wrong .

To find this 6th gear not only the harm lenght should be adjusted but also the piece attached to the arm and entering the gearbox seen on the first picture ?

thanks a lot for your help and patience .

Igor

2 hours ago, igor said:

Hi Docc

I think i start to understand , tell me if i'm wrong .

To find this 6th gear not only the harm lenght should be adjusted but also the piece attached to the arm and entering the gearbox seen on the first picture ?

thanks a lot for your help and patience .

Igor

Yes, those are the adjustments that ensure none of the mechanism fouls against the frame side plate, the starter, or any wires or tubing that may be routed near.

Servicing this mechanism is a good starting point. If your gear box is still troublesome, we will go from there.

• Like 1