Twenty Years Ago

belfastguzzi

37 minutes ago, docc said:

Geez, if "less is more", why is the German phrase so insanely long?!? :blink:

Because it's German... :whistle::grin:

Seriously, though: "Less is more" can also be translated as "Weniger ist Mehr", und that is actually the literal translation, and is in common use as a saying exactly as it is in English.

In the sense of the meaning of "In der Beschränkung zeigt sich der Meister" (literally "in the limitation shows himself the master") one might say in English "The skill of the master is evident in his understatement".

As far as the apparently incomprehensively long words in German go generally, that is due to the grammatical rules of the language. Words are joined together to form the names of things, instead of using several seperate words. For instance:

drill press = Standbohrmaschine, literally "standing drill mashine" = stand bohr maschine

lathe = Drehbank, literally "turn bench" = dreh bank

and so on. So those words that go on for ever are actually several words shoved together. :)

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

Because it's German... :whistle::grin:

So those words that go on for ever are actually several words shoved together. :)

A p.s. to that: it might sound unwieldy, but that system is in fact eminently logical.

It's not quite the same thing, but we have an example here in the forum in the form of the name of member @al_roethlisberger .

The "oe" is most likely an anglicisation of the German ö . The two dots are called an Umlaut = sound changer, the ö does sound like oe, and adding an e after the vowel in question is the "official" workaround when writing words with the Umlaut letters ö, ä, and ü on machines (computers, typewriters...) that don't have the necessary key.

So we have "Röthlisberger" as the name. That means "he who comes from Röthlisberg" or "one of the folk from Rhötlisbeg ".

"Röthlisberg" means "Rhötlis mountain", and that is here in the German speaking part of Switzerland:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/47.01303/7.77832

So it is fair to assume that one of Al's ancestors probably came from there. ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, docc said:

Geez, if "less is more", why is the German phrase so insanely long?!? :blink:

Because it's more.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

Time to show a picture of what my V11LM looked like

IMG_0107.JPG

Great looking wheels Jaap. Marvic magnesium?

Were they worth the ROI impact on the performance /sweetness of handling of bike? Been off/on mulling rims for years…

Haven’t heard much by way of pros & cons - to persuade myself to take such a committed plunge!

So it’s a little thought in the back of the head - that sorta just sits there like a rabbit in the headlights…

What impression did your experience leave you with - was it something worth doing over again?

10 hours ago, docc said:

As in, five more?

Just what are these five Guzzi "sitting about the place", @belfastguzzi?

You don't know how this site works yet, Docc? :grin: Look left, that's <– that direction. Under belfastguzzi there's a little picture avatar thingy, under that there's a list of my bike(s) – and ! I specially updated it it when I called in yesterday ! :mg:
Sadly only two of five are running on the road:

1. LeMans Mklll - classic of course; wrist breaker
  2. V11 Scura - sort of parts-bin and sorta classy and in ways better than the Griso, which is next >
  3. Griso 8V (first of 8 valves - grrrr I hate Piaggio Guzzi)
  4. 1200 Sport - last of 2-valves, by no means perfect but one of the best modern (suppose I now need to add 'air-cooled') Guzzis? I wanted the last iteration of venerable (& trustworthy) 2V big block motor. I wish Guzzi had called it a GT rather than a Sport.
  5. V7lll 750 Rough - absolutely no comparison to Aprilia 750 but I do enjoy it and went for it 'cos Rough model has wire wheels and looks good (tho of course - punctures, the price to pay). It's good combo along with the 1200 Sport. I prob wouldn't have it if it was my only bike, though... the older I get.... 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

Great looking wheels Jaap. Marvic magnesium?

Were they worth the ROI impact on the performance /sweetness of handling of bike? Been off/on mulling rims for years…

Haven’t heard much by way of pros & cons - to persuade myself to take such a committed plunge!

So it’s a little thought in the back of the head - that sorta just sits there like a rabbit in the headlights…

What impression did your experience leave you with - was it something worth doing over again?

Wheels are forged OZ. Ghezzi-Brian had a batch made and I got a good deal on them. Much lighter than OEM and together with Öhlins goodies it improved handling very much! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Baldini said:

Oh no not him again...

You're awake? Excellent. Now don't be troubling the young people hereabouts. :oldgit:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, belfastguzzi said:

You're awake? Excellent. Now don't be troubling the young people hereabouts. :oldgit:

Your as old as you feel & I feel about 8. Except for the aches. & pains. 

It appears you subscribe to the "this one broke, I'll fix it one day when I have a bit more time, meanwhile I better get a working one to keep me on the road" school of motorcycle ownership - a man after my own heart.

AGNmyxbBOpSeNBFrOIJpsDSHcp_JyeD2RNUeHFio
ReplyForward
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Baldini said:

It appears you subscribe to the "this one broke, I'll fix it one day when I have a bit more time, meanwhile I better get a working one to keep me on the road" school of motorcycle ownership - a man after my own heart.

AGNmyxbBOpSeNBFrOIJpsDSHcp_JyeD2RNUeHFio
ReplyForward

OMG,that's too funny,,,the story of my life.

Explains the size of my herd,,,but also the bikes on my job list that don't get tended to.

I thought I was the only one,,,glad there's a few others.

:D:rasta::D