New still in crate Daytona 1000!

4corsa

Tell me, would it be possible to get that registered in the USA? Here in Germany it would be likely to be difficult or impossible. Anything that gets a new registration has to correspond to the current emissions regulation, exhaust and noise. It doesn't matter when it was built, or if it corresponds to the regulations at that time or not. As far as I understand what I have read on the subject, to get that bike registered here, i.e. a brand new 20 year old bike that had never been registered, one would have to seek a special dispensation from the equivalent to the Department of Transport.

33 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Tell me, would it be possible to get that registered in the USA? Here in Germany it would be likely to be difficult or impossible. Anything that gets a new registration has to correspond to the current emissions regulation, exhaust and noise. It doesn't matter when it was built, or if it corresponds to the regulations at that time or not. As far as I understand what I have read on the subject, to get that bike registered here, i.e. a brand new 20 year old bike that had never been registered, one would have to seek a special dispensation from the equivalent to the Department of Transport.

My understanding is that it could be registered in the US as long as it meets the CARB and DOT safety standards and EPA requirements that were in effect at time of manufacture...and there are no open recalls in the USA on this model. Piaggio can supply that notice with the appropriate VIN. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, registering it here in the USA should be easy. But a bike like that probably will never be registered. My guess is whoever buys it will likely leave it in the crate, perhaps removing one side of the crate to make it easier to look at. A shame, in a way, that it was left like that for so long. Sadly, it will probably never be ridden. At this point it would be a fair amount of work just to get it in shape to ride it. So many seals, belts, and hoses that would need attention.

17 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

Yeah, registering it here in the USA should be easy. But a bike like that probably will never be registered. My guess is whoever buys it will likely leave it in the crate, perhaps removing one side of the crate to make it easier to look at. A shame, in a way, that it was left like that for so long. Sadly, it will probably never be ridden. At this point it would be a fair amount of work just to get it in shape to ride it. So many seals, belts, and hoses that would need attention.

Reminds me of this Triumph out of a crate, the Guzzi might start up with fluids and a battery. :rasta:

36 minutes ago, Joe said:

... the Guzzi might start up with fluids and a battery.

Well, it might, but I wouldn't consider that prudent. As has already been mentioned, there are all those rubber bits in there that are more than 20 years old, and have never been moved at all in all that time. I'd have a good look at everything before even thinking about trying to start it. :huh2:

1 hour ago, GuzziMoto said:

I suspect it will be "collected" and left in the crate, which I can understand on one hand, but on the other hand...  I'd be torn between both options :unsure:

But since the bids are already so high, I fortunately won't have to worry about making that choice!  :P

But yeah to your points above; if it is pulled out to be ridden, it will have to be completely gone over much more so than the standard dealer setup, and some plastic/rubber bits may just have to be replaced.

Regarding whether it can be registered, depending on the US State involved and the minutiae of their law, it likely can and as mentioned would be typically held to the emissions/safety standards of the year of its VIN.  This is why old frames for vehicles in the US can be valuable, as they can be used as a foundation for a "hot rod" that may be exempt from some modern standards.  I think for example this is how Shelby sold "new" old 1960s Cobras several years ago.

Hey Al tks for posting the BAT link,that'll be a neat auction to follow.

All of these NIB crate bikes come with the same moral dilemma,ride it or preserve it? I'm glad it's a decision that someone else with deep pockets has to make.

Guzzis of that era are extremely rare in my area,I got the shock of my life 5-6 yrs ago,when I pulled into a local Kawi dealer for parts and parked beside a beautiful Daytona. The owner/rider of the bike,really wasn't a guzzi guy. He was a high level executive type,with a nice Italian toy.

Those bikes are definitely sexy,but the headache of dealing with the belt issue,aren't my cup of tea.

Interesting to see Mark Knofler bidding. In the comments he mentions regretting seeing it too late when it recently sold to the seller on FB Marketplace;knowing what a passionate big kid he is at heart, I don't think he'll let it get away this time,jmho.

Definitely one of the most interesting auctions ever on BAT;curious to see how high the big boys go.

14 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

... old frames for vehicles in the US can be valuable, as they can be used as a foundation for a "hot rod" that may be exempt from some modern standards. ...

That is more or less the reason behind my asking about registration. You can use an old frame as the basis for a custom build here and thereby avoid modern emission laws. BUT the frame has to have been registered already for that to work. The emissions regulations that apply are those for the date of first registration, not for the date of manufacture according to the VIN.

7 minutes ago, audiomick said:

That is more or less the reason behind my asking about registration. You can use an old frame as the basis for a custom build here and thereby avoid modern emission laws. BUT the frame has to have been registered already for that to work. The emissions regulations that apply are those for the date of first registration, not for the date of manufacture according to the VIN.

Yeah, I thought about that while writing my response, and I'm not 100% certain how this would apply in every State in the US. 

As always, "check your local laws and regulations"  ;)

I guess in this case, if the new buyer hoped to register it in their State, but found they could not do so; I don't think they would have a hard time reselling it :P   

I honestly don't think registering it in the US as-is would be a problem though.  I'd be surprised.

Mark Knopfler is one of the bidders. He is a big collector of bikes and cars.
But the bidder is spelling it Knofler without the "p", so not sure it's our Dire Straits hero

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

If you had the funds to invest in a new old stock crate bike to get running, you would probably have a talented Moto Guzzi motorcycle mechanic to set it up correctly. My vote would be to get the bike running to tip top shape and ride it, sort of the same as Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum . Motorcycles are not built to be caged in boxes their whole life. :2c:

• Like 4