Get a Honda GB500 and Sell Your Guzzi!

51 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Nice bike, but sky high price.

• Like 2

Very rare to see one that complete and original. Down to the original reflectors and goofy secondary air pump.

Even the tail cowl looks intact. (These tend to crack at the mounting points.)

As @gstallons said, these languished on showroom floors with asking prices upwards of $4,000US when the 4 cylinder CBR600 "Hurricane" sitting next to it was about the same money. I found mine at a dealer about an hour from me, sitting on his floor for nearly two years.

Over 52,000 miles now and still a doll.  :wub:

Met some of my best buds and lifelong friends through the GB500 . . .

IMG_0704.jpg

• Like 6

Yep, I reckon these are great bikes!

Honda did this really really well and so much better than the standard XBR 500!

As a fan of big singles I'd love one as the backroads round here do resemble English lanes in parts.

Then again an Enfield bullet might be better to potter about on them and a damn site cheaper too?

Cheers Guzzler 

• Like 2

I've always lusted after one of these, now partially sated by my RE 350 single. Every time I think about lower bars and more rear set pegs though, I remember my age, arthritis etc. and settle back to the fat ass seat and stupidly easy egos. I'll save the aches and pains for the v11...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, billgreenman1 said:

I've always lusted after one of these, now partially sated by my RE 350 single. Every time I think about lower bars and more rear set pegs though, I remember my age, arthritis etc. and settle back to the fat ass seat and stupidly easy egos. I'll save the aches and pains for the v11...

With 300 miles between the two this weekend (Glorious! :race::sun: ) . . .

. . . I find the V11 a bit more challenging for the knees and the GB harder on the wrists.

Luscious, enticing beasts . . . 

Screen%20Shot%202023-03-26%20at%207.58.2

• Like 3

It took me a long time to understand the Honda GB500. That guy just doesn't get it.  Honda did not build it to sell. It was only sold in the USA? Yet, I read early on that the Japanese "built it for themselves."

I was, like, "Huh, but they weren't sold there" . . .

(Many) Years later I read an interesting piece by designer Glen Kerr talking about another Japanese motorcycle that "failed miserably in the market." He deftly explained that model was a "corporate pride" project and that the teams involved with producing it benefited immeasurably beyond the market performance.

Suddenly, the Honda GB500 made sense to me.  "They built it for themselves. " For their corporate pride. And for the motivation to carry on and build impressive models for the world to enjoy. Models that would be successful in the marketplace.

The GB500? It is like a striking, and complex, piece of jewelry. And, as Gordan Jennings said of it back in the day, "Equal to a gentlemanly pace."

dbf25d27-3256-4187-896e-982a036f0d5e.jpg

IMG_0101.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1