I watched the first MotoGP in its new format. Saturday Sprint race and Sunday Standard race.

From my armchair, it seems that MM93 has grown desperately frantic to win one more championship. He was always an aggressive rider, but I think he has stepped up his antagonism even more.

Starting last year by injuring Takaaki Nakagami and securing an impossible come back for Fabio Quartararo in Aragon.

Now, he not only injured himself but also Jorge Martin, taking out Oliveira for good measure. According to what I read, since he is not going to participate in the Argentinean GP, his double lap penalty is not carried to Texas.

I am wondering if the fire that burns in him will only be quenched once he manages to equal or surpass VR46s stats...

Anyway, MotoGP needs Marc Marquez, so I don't suppose DORNA is going to do much about tempering his thirst.

• Like 1

I lost all respect for him he ruined Rossi's championship run in '15.  His antics and Dorna ruined a great finale for the title between Rossi and Lorenzo.   He's sorta like Dale Earnhardt NASCAR period when Dale was allowed rough driving and perhaps was allowed a special car. 

OTOH, MM is talented and brave and I welcome his comeback after such an awful accident.  I just see the same guy that's lost a step, on a slower bike with same level of aggression but very frustrated and mistake prone. 

• Like 5

@LowRyter yes, yes, yes! His 2015 behavior was a disgrace, he was dead to me afterward. Dorna allowed him to get away with it, sheesh.

Yesterday they gave him a two lap penalty, not nearly enough as he essentially finished two championship seasons. It's far too difficult to claw back that many points, now more than ever.

I heard this morning, he now needs arm surgery, and is out.

1 minute ago, LaGrasta said:

@LowRyter yes, yes, yes! His 2015 behavior was a disgrace, he was dead to me afterward. Dorna allowed him to get away with it, sheesh.

Yesterday they gave him a two lap penalty, not nearly enough as he essentially finished two championship seasons. It's far too difficult to claw back that many points, now more than ever.

I heard this morning, he now needs arm surgery, and is out.

Beginning of the End for Marquez, the sport has moved on from his Honda era of dominance. 

• Like 1

Nakagami was a 1 man wrecking crew last season, I"m really surprised he didn't get more sanctions as it seems like almost every other race he was taking someone out.

It seems that Marquez has lost his cool head completely...I love watching him race, but this last race was a disgrace for him...complete disaster.

I look forward to seeing the races in Austin as we go almost every year...somehow I think the King of Cota's desperation is causing him to make really bad decisions.  I hope he cools down by the time we see him at COTA, if he races.

• Like 1

It looks like we're going to be down 3 riders at COTA?  I plan to be there if the weather cooperates.  They were falling like flies.  

MM#93 used to own the place.  First time I went to COTA, first ever MGP practice session, I walk in the gate into the turns behind thea paddock and he goes rag doll in the little chute before the left hander.  He gets right up.   WOW.   That little chute used crash quite a few riders, medium sharp right (T18)- short chute- medium sharp left (T19).  I've seen them crash at both turns and in the chute between them.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

It looks like we're going to be down 3 riders at COTA?  I plan to be there if the weather cooperates.  They were falling like flies.  

MM#93 used to own the place.  First time I went to COTA, first ever MGP practice session, I walk in the gate into the turns behind thea paddock and he goes rag doll in the little chute before the left hander.  He gets right up.   WOW.   That little chute used crash quite a few riders, medium sharp right (T18)- short chute- medium sharp left (T19).  I've seen them crash at both turns and in the chute between them.

Oliveira is out for Argentina, so with Marc Marquez out, they have 5 less pilots. Taking into account they already started with less bikes this season, with the departure of Suzuki, it is not good...

And because they can't replace any of the missing pilots. Rules say you have to have one GP before you can find a substitute, but the main reason is the fact they can't find substitute pilots given the complexity of the MotoGP nowadays. The only possible candidate for KTM would be Pedrosa, but he does not want to. He will only make an exception for the Spanish GP.

Let's hope nothing bad happens this week-end.

• Like 1

I only watch Motos and MMA, no stick and ball sports (any longer). This past weekend was SX, MotoGP, and UFC; I had a busy TV schedule!

• Like 1

Fewer bikes on the grid will certainly increase Bagnaia's chances of winning, probably many of the other riders on the grid will be happy Marquez is not there chasing them down...less carnage hopefully on the turns.

Maybe some like Moto 2 riders will get a chance to practice with the GP riders and play with the big boys.

As long as it's good weather, racing is always a blast at COTA to watch...Turn1 or Turn 15/16...

• Like 1

MM didn't have top 10 pace but qualified on pole by getting a tow, and then when the race starts surprise surprise he can't keep up, he then reverts to his default setting of red mist and over riding and the inevitable happens. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, p6x said:

I watched the first MotoGP in its new format. Saturday Sprint race and Sunday Standard race.

From my armchair, it seems that MM93 has grown desperately frantic to win one more championship. He was always an aggressive rider, but I think he has stepped up his antagonism even more.

Starting last year by injuring Takaaki Nakagami and securing an impossible come back for Fabio Quartararo in Aragon.

Now, he not only injured himself but also Jorge Martin, taking out Oliveira for good measure. According to what I read, since he is not going to participate in the Argentinean GP, his double lap penalty is not carried to Texas.

I am wondering if the fire that burns in him will only be quenched once he manages to equal or surpass VR46s stats...

Anyway, MotoGP needs Marc Marquez, so I don't suppose DORNA is going to do much about tempering his thirst.

Erratum:

Only 4 pilots out for the Argentinean GP; Jorge Martin will be participating his injury is benign.

6 hours ago, p6x said:

Oliveira is out for Argentina, so with Marc Marquez out, they have 5 less pilots. Taking into account they already started with less bikes this season, with the departure of Suzuki, it is not good...

And because they can't replace any of the missing pilots. Rules say you have to have one GP before you can find a substitute, but the main reason is the fact they can't find substitute pilots given the complexity of the MotoGP nowadays. The only possible candidate for KTM would be Pedrosa, but he does not want to. He will only make an exception for the Spanish GP.

Let's hope nothing bad happens this week-end.

FIVE 4?  Marquez, Oliveira,  Beast, Martin....who else?  Pol. 

OK

• Like 1

I agree with @KINDOY2, Marc didn't have the pace but he did what he has always done (got a tow). He has done that a lot. He is clearly talented. But I always found it funny that he does what so many amateur racers do, increase their pace by following others. Not just to get a slipstream down the straight but he also uses them as a carrot to help him go faster through the twisty bits. Seems odd to have such a talented and successful racer using such a amateur trick.

That said, having him back in the middle of the front group it seemed inevitable that something like this would happen. It isn't the first time he has done something like this and I doubt it will be the last. At least the other racers (Oliveira aside) can rest easy knowing Marc will be out for a few races.

II was really hoping Oliveira could deliver for Aprilia. It is great to finally have a fast guy on the Ape. But his season is probably ruined now. Maybe Vinales can be consistently fast, but that seems unlikely. Oliveira seemed like Aprilias best hope. Either way, I am enjoying the season. I like the addition of the sprint races.

• Like 2

This morning there was a clarification;

Marquez will have to do his double long lap penalty whenever he will be fit to race next.

I don't know if this is a result of the grumbling that has happened since Marc was going to get away without any penalty.

Also, there are more and more voices pointing out the opaque way the stewards are punishing or not the pilots involved in incidents. Fabio Quartararo pointed out that Luca Marini who injured Bastianini did not incur a penalty. Mir had an incident with Fabio Quartararo, crashed out, but got a long lap penalty for the next race.

The steward body does not have to explain their decision, but they are losing credibility. Fast!

• Like 1