A tale straight from the spirited heart! this is the kind of passion that lives in each of us! 160,000 km (100k miles) and love for a Stelvio

Unfortunately, it is in French, there are subtitles but no translation from google.

But this is the kind of "lived" story that I like. This is a passionate tell tale about a Moto Guzzi Stelvio.

The Guzzi Stelvio is going strong once he got the few early Stelvio known issues taken care of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done...a Stelvio with lovely Norge Panniers and stickers...my kind of bike and story indeed!  

I'm sure all of the folks here can relate directly to this passion and attachment...it's genuine and heartfelt.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, docc said:

"I would say she is capricious."

That guy did not understand the difference between being whimsical and having character....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Very nicely done...a Stelvio with lovely Norge Panniers and stickers...my kind of bike and story indeed!  

I'm sure all of the folks here can relate directly to this passion and attachment...it's genuine and heartfelt.

When you think that he got into the Guzzi Stelvio only because they lent one to him while fixing his main bike. It was love at first gear change, still going strong today....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...archaic mechanics...  too funny.

I'm rather fond of my Stelvio. Took it out and rode it like a sport bike last weekend. No protest whatsoever. Brought home 25 pounds of oranges.

• Like 3

I wanted to go back through the captions and count how many times he said, "I can't explain" . . . :sun:  :race:  :mg:

Of course, we are all nodding in agreement as he says this. :bier:

• Haha 1

I dare say it'll have more torque than standard, but not neccesarily a great deal more peak power.

They seem to go looking for torque at Dynotec, for instance here:

https://www.dynotec.de/modelle/Stelvio 1200 4V.html

This is what the text next to the graph says:

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Series without rubber snorkel
on the air filter box
103 hp (76 kW) at 6900 rpm
118 Nm at 5300/min

Dynotec Stelvio
Performance kit with ABE silencer,
thick secondary pipe
and DynoTec tuning
106 hp (78 kW) at 7700 rpm
127 Nm at 5000/min

Dynotec Stelvio
Performance kit with modified
exhaust system, ABE silencer,
and DynoTec tuning
115 hp (84.5 kW) at 7600 rpm
126 Nm at 5400/min

You can choose whether the maximum torque is available 500 revolutions earlier or whether you prefer the higher peak power.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I gather that is for a 2V / cylinder Motor, but a quick look around the site reveals a trend towards "two-stage" tuning, with the first stage concentrating on torque, see also the pages for the 1200 Sport and the Quota.

https://www.dynotec.de/modelle/1200 Sport _ Norge _ Griso.html

https://www.dynotec.de/modelle/Moto Guzzi Quota 1100 ES.html

Like most tuning places, "tricked up by Dynotec" doesn't have to mean they have gone the whole hog. It might just mean they have made it run the way it should as opposed to the way it left the production line. :huh2:

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Like most tuning places, "tricked up by Dynotec" doesn't have to mean they have gone the whole hog. It might just mean they have made it run the way it should as opposed to the way it left the production line. :huh2:

I did ask for their price list by email. They never replied; don't know if they just ignored me or if they have enough business to not read their electronic mail.

I was told by another member who had some dealing with them? him? that the answers to his question came out somewhat arrogant and self-entitled.

8 minutes ago, p6x said:

that the answers to his question came out somewhat arrogant and self-entitled.

Yeah, that can happen when Germans who don't speak English on a daily basis try to do so. I think it has to do with thinking in German and translating the thoughts to English. Formulations that are perfectly acceptable in German sometimes seem blunt and/or arrogant when they are directly translated to English. :huh2:

I haven't had anything to do with the business directly, but they seem to have a fairly good reputation here.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, audiomick said:

I dare say it'll have more torque than standard, but not neccesarily a great deal more peak power.

They seem to go looking for torque at Dynotec, for instance here:

https://www.dynotec.de/modelle/Stelvio 1200 4V.html

This is what the text next to the graph says:

I gather that is for a 2V / cylinder Motor, but a quick look around the site reveals a trend towards "two-stage" tuning, with the first stage concentrating on torque, see also the pages for the 1200 Sport and the Quota.

https://www.dynotec.de/modelle/1200 Sport _ Norge _ Griso.html

https://www.dynotec.de/modelle/Moto Guzzi Quota 1100 ES.html

There is no such thing as a 2V per cylinder Stelvio. All Stelvios use the 4VPC, 8 valves in all, motor.

Like so many other places these people sell a fantasy. The 8V motor is limited by its camming and its side draught head construction. I don't know whether it was this lot or some other German mob who in a YouTube vid said that the Guzzi 8V and the Ducati 8V, both being 8V motors, should be able to make the same power! Such staggering lack of understanding of modern engine design left me quite literally gobsmacked!

While you could, maybe, get a small increase in power with different cams it would come at the expense of bottom end and midrange. The only way you can get more torque is by improving cylinder fill and with the combustion chamber shape and side draught porting of the Guzzi 8V this is very, very difficult.

If I wanted to I could claim that an 8V tuned by me could make 110 hp and a zillion mile/tonnes of torque and put up a dyno chart to prove it. All it would prove is that it is very, very easy to massage dyno figures or use ones extrapolated using some undisclosed formula to *Predict* output at the crank.

The fact is that having ridden many 'Race Tuned' or whatever 8V's and being very familiar with the powerplant and what it is and isn't capable of I can tell you that most of them are disappointing and usually under perform because the 'Tuners' in question sling a whole load more fuel into the map because they all sing to the tired old song sheet that 'Modern bikes are mapped up lean to get them through emissions' when in fact the opposite is true. The base maps are almost universally rich. Meeting immisions targets is done by using a crude narrow band oxygen sensor to get the ecu to pull fuel out of the map when it's running in closed loop. At all other times, or if the lambda input is turned off, the maps are rich. The last thing you want to do at most places in it is ADD fuel! That's why a lot of these offerings also drink fuel at an extraordinary rate.

A properly tuned and mapped 8V makes *About* 100 RWHP. I can imagine 103 in the case above being about on the money. The torque figure? Not so much, unless it is forcibly aspirated and crammed to suit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Yeah, that can happen when Germans who don't speak English on a daily basis try to do so. I think it has to do with thinking in German and translating the thoughts to English. Formulations that are perfectly acceptable in German sometimes seem blunt and/or arrogant when they are directly translated to English. :huh2:

I haven't had anything to do with the business directly, but they seem to have a fairly good reputation here.

I did not get an answer to my request for a price list; I was mainly interested in finding out the replacement cost for the tapered roller bearing of a CARC which they advertise on their web site. I was trying to find out what brand they used to replace the stock bearing.

In our battle tanks, all the roller bearings came from TIMKEN; https://catalog.timken.com/Tapered-Roller-Bearing-Catalog/C/#