A tale straight from the spirited heart! this is the kind of passion that lives in each of us! 160,000 km (100k miles) and love for a Stelvio

Which bearing? There are two or three different sizes in there. Two I think. Bigger ones for the crownwheel spindle and smaller ones for the pinion. I think we use NTN or SKF when we're rebuilding a CARC reactive bridge. The inner and outer support bearings are a large, single row 61917-C3, we always use an FAG product, it must have 19 balls, not 17. And the smaller one we once again use SKF or NTN. Can't remember what we use for the pinion nose bearing. 

10 hours ago, p6x said:

... I was trying to find out what brand they used to replace the stock bearing...

Hmmm, it doesn't really surprise me that they didn't want to disclose the source for parts they were selling. :huh2:

@pete roper : thanks for that post. It is always good to get information from someone who is really well informed, and not trying to sell something. :):thumbsup:

10 hours ago, p6x said:
I did not get an answer to my request for a price list; I was mainly interested in finding out the replacement cost for the tapered roller bearing of a CARC which they advertise on their web site. I was trying to find out what brand they used to replace the stock bearing.
In our battle tanks, all the roller bearings came from TIMKEN; https://catalog.timken.com/Tapered-Roller-Bearing-Catalog/C/#

You mean the steering head bearing? Koyo 32907JR-3. Since the same size is used in all modern Aprilias there is some choice
12434650314b8644519ba3d74533761c.jpg

PS: I see I missed Pete's post, where do you see something on the Dynotec website about a bearing? They don't do price lists I think. They are a tuning/special builder. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Paul Minnaert said:

You mean the steering head bearing? Koyo 32907JR-3. Since the same size is used in all modern Aprilias there is some choice

I meant the tapered bearing, the fulcrum of the CARC. That bearing is said to be a failure prone component since allegedly installed without lubricant during assembly.

As I am considering a Stelvio in the 30,000 miles range, I am making a shopping list of what parts I need to source.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, p6x said:

I meant the tapered bearing, the fulcrum of the CARC. That bearing is said to be a failure prone component since allegedly installed without lubricant during assembly.

As I am considering a Stelvio in the 30,000 miles range, I am making a shopping list of what parts I need to source.

After the first batch Breva 1100 with wrong bearings, all other not so early Carc do not have a problem there. Just leave it together. 

6 hours ago, p6x said:

Do you mean the swingarm bearings in the frame?

3 hours ago, Paul Minnaert said:

If it is these, they are a special item, not obtainable somewhere else. 

Yes, enraging isn't it. I've searched high and low but to no avail.

The really annoying thing is that the bearing itself is as common as muck! It's the odd sealing system that makes it unique. What is even more enraging is that the same sealing system isn't even very good!:bbblll:

• Like 1