Wanted - Veglia Borletti Tachometer

samdroid

I don't recall anyone having success in opening these bevel cases and resealing w/o damage. 

Of course, there is a special tool.. but. What you need to do is (somehow) machine a cavity that the ring fits snugly into. I did it on the cnc mill, but a lathe or template with router, etc. would do it too.

Once fit into the cavity, take something like a tack puller and "carefully" work around the crimp, picking it up a little and moving around the bezel several times until the instrument can come out. Reinstalling is putting the assembly back into the cavity and taking a flat punch and "carefully" tapping the bezel inward. When moving metal like this, a hundred small pecks is considerably better than one big one..:grin:

• Like 3

Thanks very much Chuck…ok that’s a definite possibility, unfortunately I don’t  have those tools in my garage.  Looks like I’ll live with another faded orange indicator sweep needle.

Faded is just what I'm looking for. Would match the needle in my speedo nicely. I believe your scura would have the black faced clocks? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the offer. May send you a PM

35 minutes ago, samdroid said:

Faded is just what I'm looking for. Would match the needle in my speedo nicely. I believe your scura would have the black faced clocks? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the offer. May send you a PM

Hi Sam...actually mine are white faced original Veglia's, not the older black faced ones or the newer (more stylish) black Speedhut style.  If you want to shoot me an email I can send you a pic and see if that works for you!  Cheers!

Paul

• 8 months later...

I am now affected by the jumpy? fluctuating? dancing? Veglia tachometer pointer on my 2000 Quota...

I went through several threads, and read it is an electronic issue? should I go Ted Levine on this? from my previous experience with the ITI odometer, it is actually cheaper to purchase a replacement. However, what is the point of purchasing a replacement if it gets affected by the same problem later?

Did Veglia ever correct the problem?

White faced Veglia's are hard to find...and of course, no guarantee that they work perfectly.   I was lucky last year to find one at TLM in good shape, faded orange needle, but not jumping.  You may have to hunt Ebay or TLM or Stein Dinse and see if they have anything, but it's very random.  I've seen some guys in Austin selling speedos and tachometers, but with no guarantee that they even work...those are just a gamble.

It's interesting also that the Quota has the speedo/tacho layout opposite of the V11's I think...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

White faced Veglia's are hard to find...and of course, no guarantee that they work perfectly.   I was lucky last year to find one at TLM in good shape, faded orange needle, but not jumping.  You may have to hunt Ebay or TLM or Stein Dinse and see if they have anything, but it's very random.  I've seen some guys in Austin selling speedos and tachometers, but with no guarantee that they even work...those are just a gamble.

It's interesting also that the Quota has the speedo/tacho layout opposite of the V11's I think...

You are correct in pointing out the layout is the opposite of that of the V11; however, the tachometer of my Le Mans works;

I have read a lot of press about the white face Veglia, and some people are saying it is a leaking ground problem. Joel Levine said he can only fix mechanical instruments. I am going to hunt the Italian wizards to see if there is a fix.

I found some substitutes tachometers, plug ins, but without the Moto Guzzi emblem and zoning. Thus, I would rather get the one I have fixed, if possible.

The V11 sport/LeMans wiring suffers from tachometer issues because of Relay#2 (NO contact) and, on the early V11 (1999-2001) failure of the weak Relay#1 NC contact.

Are there three relays on the Quota, or five like the V11 Sport/LM?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, docc said:

The V11 sport/LeMans wiring suffers from tachometer issues because of Relay#2 (NO contact) and, on the early V11 (1999-2001) failure of the weak Relay#1 NC contact.

Are there three relays on the Quota, or five like the V11 Sport/LM?

There seem to be 5, however, distributed in two groups; there is one group of 2, and another group with three + the turn indicators flasher close to the fuses box on the left hand side of the Quota. I have not yet been inside there. I am just looking at the manuals from "thisoldtractor".

Are those relay the same as the V11 ones, which I have 5 OMRON spares?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, p6x said:

There seem to be 5, however, distributed in two groups; there is one group of 2, and another group with three + the turn indicators flasher close to the fuses box on the left hand side of the Quota. I have not yet been inside there. I am just looking at the manuals from "thisoldtractor".

Are those relay the same as the V11 ones, which I have 5 OMRON spares?

Sounds like it is in common with the early (1999-2001) Sport, then. The group of two are the last two in our V11 Sport/LM: Fuel/Ignition and ECU.

The group of three will be Start (with the weak NC contact), the "Headlight" relay that includes the tachometer feed, and the "Sidestand"/Neutral switch relay.

If they are all the same size (micro-ISO) as our V11, then the OMRON are well indicated.

It would be quite a victory if the tachometer normalizes!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, docc said:

It would be quite a victory if the tachometer normalizes!

I am tempering my hopes, because I have read tens of reported issues with the white face tachometer Veglia. I would have thought that a relay would have been identified as the culprit.

I will check it out tomorrow. So far, the headlight, side stand and neutral seem to be working. Now, unlike the Le Mans, the neutral light needs a little bit of fiddling to come on. I mean, I am in neutral, but I need to caress the selector to get the light to come on.

I also checked the low fuel lamp works; there is much less reserve, though. It makes sense since the tank capacity is inferior to that of the Le Mans, with an identical engine capacity. I am going to need to remember that, because I have gotten around the 200 miles on one tank with the Le Mans, but the Quota will give up at around 185 miles.

I have seen many V11 tachometers adversely affected by a marginal Relay (especially #2 on the V11Sport/LM). That function is far more sensitive than the headlight.

One can hope (while being deliberate and knowledgeable) . . .

• Like 3

I can't believe I'm actually reading this thread, reliving my past nightmare with my speedo. It still surprises me there is no mechanical replacement, cheap and easy. The internet is full of cheap and easy mechanical cable-driven speedos/tach.

I ended up replacing both angle gears and cable, spending far too much and all seems well now. However, I spent even more money when I found an NOS white face speedo (It may be a unicorn). It now lives on a shelf, waiting for it's turn.

Hope you get this sorted.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 6:46 PM, docc said:

I have seen many V11 tachometers adversely affected by a marginal Relay (especially #2 on the V11Sport/LM). That function is far more sensitive than the headlight.

One can hope (while being deliberate and knowledgeable) . . .

The drawings I looked at do not match what I am looking at on my Quota; The number of relays is the same as that of the V11: 5.

I have replaced the four ones situated on the right from the flasher.

I did a static check, and yes, it seems the tachometer is less shaky and indicates what I think should be the correct rpm. I now need to run a dynamic test to confirm. This is going to come in a few moments.

This Quota does not have a dual lights front beam. It looks more like the smaller single lens front of the European sold Daytona.

Quota 1100 ES left hand side view

• Like 1

@docc

Unfortunately, the erratic behavior of the white face Veglia tachometer persisted. It seemed more steady at low speed, but that was just a lure.

At speed, the rpm shown decrease as you go faster.

I have been reading a lot of threads related to this issue, and no confirmed root cause. "This old Tractor" has a method to open the instrument, which is a major venture and often results in breaking the lens.

I do not want to risk it, and I will rather accept the tachometer as is. I have some clues that I am going to follow. If and when I go to Italy, I may be able to find someone who can really tell me what is the root cause of the problem.

• Like 1