1997 Sport 1100i - New to me. Paddock Stand Options

MotoTim

Greetings all.

Back at the forum after a long break - was previously active when I had my 2001 V11 Sport.

Recently picked up a lovely Sport 1100i to go with my 1974 Eldorado 850 (w/ big bore kit) and will be going thru it front to back over the coming weeks and months. I've put about 60 test miles on it and it all seems sorted, but you never know what's been lubed and checked and adjusted..  plus the date codes put the tires at 20 yrs old, so new rubber for sure.

Anyway, first order of business is a stand. Apart from the ones found on Stein-Dinse are there any recommendations/alternatives for a stand? 

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm happy with my Becker Technik stand. Best price I found was from SD, even shipped from Germany. I was a little ticked at SD though...they sent the stand with instructions in German.  I asked them for them in English, and they said sorry, that's all they have. I contacted BT, they happily emailed me the English page. Shitty customer service from SD, at least on that transaction since it was so easy to make it good.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^ +1 on the Becker Technik!

I got mine (2 actually, one for the V11 and one for the Griso) from SD as well, and I like ‘em.

I’ve never had any issues with SD, they tend to keep good stock, often have better pricing once you take the VAT off and they ship lickity-split. I don’t remember what kind of instructions came with them but it’s not too hard to figure out, and if in doubt, there is lots of info to be found here and on the interweb. @activpop might even send you a copy of his in english if you ask nicely :whistle:

PS: SD ships from Germany at a flat rate so it is advantageous to order any parts you might need at the same time.

• Like 1

I recently bought a Becker stand directly from Becker. Haven't tried it yet, but it is built well and looks good.

Note: the sockets appropriate for the Bike need to be ordered as well. I forgot that when I bought the stand. Not hard to solve; they are just standard 1/2" drive sockets in the appropriate size. It just would have been easier if they had arrived with the stand. :)

I think it has to do with product safety testing and licensing requirements for manufacturers to sell in the US. It is an expensive and long process and probably not worth it to them for such a small market item. And they would have to do it for each and everyone of the different iterations of the same type stand for all the bikes models...

Somehow, vendors are able to circumvent that and import and sell these stand as MG Cycles does.

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 12:47 PM, audiomick said:

Lazy buggers. :luigi:

Nope... I asked them the reason, and they answered because of some liability clause they need to sell it directly to the USA, that requires a special insurance coverage. I don't know if this is true, or they have a deal with MG Cycle.